Wednesday 23 February 2011

Churnet Valley Railway

Today we visited the Churnet Valley Railway, which starts at Cheddleton and runs to Kingsley and Froghall Station. The railway is trying to replicate a 1950s/1960s rural railway, which makes us feel really old. The train had a steam engine, with a Thomas the Tank Engine face.
I remember all the steam when I travelled on the train from Invercargill to Christchurch but not the face!
It took ages to travel such a short distance due to the engine having to be moved from one end of the train to the other before it could start the return journey. We sat in one of those 6 seater compartments. A very comfortable and leisurely journey. Cheddleton Station. I am not sure they would have worn fluorescent jackets way back in the 1950s. Some things have changed!

Afterwards Jackson and Isabel had their faces painted, Jackson became a lion and Isabel became a zebra. The lady was very skilled, the best I have seen. Naturally they did not want to take off the paint at bedtime.
Jackson even had eyes painted on his eyelids!
Tonight I suffered yet another humiliating loss in Uno. Walter won but I am sure he cheated! I need to learn some underhanded tactics like saving all the pick up 4 cards in order to hand them onto the next player. That is what they do to me! Isabel was the overall winner. She is also the youngest.

No comments:

Post a Comment