Monday 31 October 2011

Singapore 2011

I am sitting at the computer in the hotel room writing this blog, feeling just a tad jetlagged.    It is Monday, 4.15 pm Singapore time, and I cannot remember when I slept last, properly that is.    Friday night, I think.  At home.  The hotel in Heathrow, where I was sure there was an electric blanket on the bed (turned up high), was not a restful night.   It turned out we needed to turn the air conditioner on.   Silly us!

We arrived at Heathrow Airport and found to our surprise that Terminal 3 had been renovated.   Security was a breeze, shops everywhere and everything fresh and tidy.   Not many quiet places in which to sit and rest, but then I think the idea is that you shop while you wait on your flight.    

Luckily we were flying Singapore Airlines, seeing that Qantas was out of action due to industrial problems.   An easy flight, 12 hours long, and plenty of movies to watch.    We were on the top deck of the big air bus A380, very quiet and worth the extra money to get an exit seat.    I still do not like taking off though - how to those big brutes manage to get up into the sky!   And then stay there!   Best not to think about it.

The only bit of excitement on the flight was when the air hostess tipped food onto my lap.    Not intentionally, and she was very apologetic.    Normally it is me that spills food on my clothes.  So it makes a change. She gave me two packs of cards as a goodwill gesture.    Maybe they will be my lucky cards now and I will always win the card games against my family.     

After we booked into the hotel, we went to the nearest cafe for a much needed cup of good coffee. Expensive at $10 (£6) but worth it.   On our last trip to NZ we worked out that we spent $750 (£325) on coffee.   Easily done too
A view of Victoria Street from the cafe.    
At The Coffee Bean Cafe.     Not looking my best I know!
 Walter lining up at immigration.    Those long lines disappeared very quickly.

The giant sculptures in Singapore Airport.
A rain forest in the arrival hall at Singapore Airport.
Back in Heathrow, we watched the never ending line of aeroplanes waiting for their take off call.
Our electronic gear, plus the necessary charges, leads, memory sticks, SD cards, readers.   I later added a small speaker box and my mini hair dryer to the bag.    My assortment weighed nearly 3 kilos, and I carried it all in my computer bag.    I can remember when I first went to Australia (1965) I owned a small camera, and then later on I bought a small transistor radio.    Now I cannot do without all my electronic bits and pieces, not for four months anyway.  

No comments:

Post a Comment