Saturday 20 July 2019

Home Again - Aldinga Beach

We have been home in Aldinga Beach for two weeks, and finally a blog.   First of all it was jet leg, always worse when travelling east, although not as severe as previous trips this way.  The sunshine on the first few days helped considerably.

Then it was procrastinating about getting the information ready, in order to put in our first Australian tax return, for the period July 2018 to June 2019.   I spent a week procrastinating where I could not do anything else as I needed to apply myself to this task but kept putting if off.     Then I spent three full days putting together everything that I thought the accountant would need, in fact pages of pages of information.   The printer worked overtime.   

 At the moment I am not recognised by the Australian Taxation Office as a resident until I put in my first tax return.    Then they will sign a British Double Taxation form which I have had for a year, and the tax on the British pensions will be paid in Australia.   And I will get any extra tax paid, refunded to me.   So I have been told.   

Walter has just filled in his final British tax return on the flats we have here.   March to June, 2018.   Numerous forms, and plenty of reading material.    We should get a refund there too.   We hope.

Our brains are slightly tired at the moment.

But most importantly we will finally be Australian residents again!. 

The first few days we were back we had blue skies and sunshine, with the temperature reaching 21 degrees on one of the days.   We were very happy.  But the sunshine did not last, as we are now experiencing typical July weather: clouds, rain and cold temperatures.   Not as cold as the UK though.  And Adelaide always needs this winter rain.

Port Willunga beach, late in the afternoon.   Such a beautiful beach.   Good to be home.
Darren had cut our hedges, and they looked magnificent in the sunshine.   Luckily the photograph did not show up all the weeds amongst the stones.   The removal of the weeds is high on my list of jobs, when we get some good weather.   
The lemon tree next door is covered in ripe lemons 
The swimming pool cover looked good in the sunlight, however under the blue cover the water was a little green.   A few doses of chlorine fixed the algae.   Amazingly the filter had come on every day for 1 1/2 hours, for the past two months.
The birds had had a lovely time sitting on the rafters and pooing on our furniture.   No one in the house to disturb their peace and quiet.   I had a massive clean up when I got back, and then put our new plastic tablecloth on the table. I had purchased it in the La Londe market. A really solid heavy plastic cloth so hope it lasts. 

When I lifted the cushions I found a couple of tiny redback spiders happily nesting there.   Little spiders become big spiders and I did not fancy being bitten on the bottom by one of them.   They are no longer there, but I must check the chairs more often.
My bike with its new panniers,
and its new Miffy (Nijntje) bell.  The late Dick Bruna, the writer, lived in Utrecht, and there is a Miffy museum there.
I was very keen to get out on the bike and join the U3A cycling group.   But I did not check the bike first, and spent the first outing struggling to ride the thing, even though I had been cycling in the Netherlands for the previous four weeks.   Every turn of the pedals was a major effort. 

Now one would think it would be a good idea to check the wheels, but I did not do so.   In the afternoon I took the bicycle to a repair shop and nearly threw it at the repair person.   Apparently the front and back brakes were rubbing on the wheels.   No wonder the bike was difficult to ride!  $40 later, the bike had been serviced and the brakes and gears adjusted.   Amazingly the bike is now wonderful to ride, so smooth, and fast.   I can keep up with the rest of the group, at long last.

There must have been the right atmospheric conditions at Port Willunga Beach, because there were about ten photographers on the beach when I took Piper for a walk.    So I took a photograph too, with my telephone.   It certainly was a wonderful sunset.
Piper chasing after the ball, her favourite pastime, and one which can be indulged in every time we come to some green grass.    Snakes are hibernating and kangaroos are happily eating plentiful grass in the scrub. 
Piper and her new harness, extremely expensive, but so comfortable.  I think she was more interested in the attractive smells in the bush, then posing for a photograph.
And I have finally finished this blog, five days after I started it!   The last two days have been glorious and I have been out digging in the garden, and buying lots of new shrubs and plants.   Lots of empty spaces to fill up.

No comments:

Post a Comment