Wednesday 26 June 2024

 We spent a lovely day in Balranald, in sunshine.  Very relaxing.   As mentioned in my blog yesterday we did not expect to come to such a scenic and interesting place.    It certainly proves that travelling slowly and calling into places certainly opens a person's eyes.  

We only saw a small amount of what is really on offer here.   There are two National Parks close by, Mungo and Yango National Parks.   Last year we visited the edge of Mungo National Park, namely the Visitor Centre and the Woolshed, as dogs are not allowed in national parks in Australia.   There are local lakes and wetlands close by due to the Murrumbidgee, Murray, Lachlan, Wakool, and Edward rivers being so close together.   This I did not know about, so much water abounds here.    I am certainly learning an awful lot about what I thought was just a dry, arid and very boring area.

And this takes me back to my rant yesterday about the cotton and rice growing on the Hay Plains.   I would hope that the people in charge keep a close eye on water usage and seepage back into the rivers, but as there is so much water around the Hay Plains then I guess it does need to be put to good use.    I am not sure about cotton but the rice growing has been thoroughly researched, and the rice that is planted here is tolerant of dry conditions, in that it doesn't need so much water, and most times a cereal crop is put in as soon as the rice is harvested in order to take advantage of the moist soil.   

I also found out that Hay is part of the Riverina, and I am almost sure that the area around here is also included in the Riverina.   

There is a small museum showing different old planes, and a Discovery Centre which houses a museum.    Sadly we did not visit either places.    So we were not able to learn much about the history of Balranald.   However a sign along the side of the river stated that Balranald started as a river port for the barges carrying wool from the farms around here.   

We ordered take away coffee and carrot cake at the bakery this morning, which was very good.   The only problem was the bakery was on the shady side of the street, so we took our coffee and sat on a bench on the sunny side.    

The frog sculptures here, and there are plenty of them are a reference to the southern bell frog, a frog found in semi-permanent wetlands across the eastern part of Australia.   I think they could be endangered.

Two frogs sawing a log.

                                         

A metal structure of a large frog.

Two cute metal frogs at the front of the camping ground.
Reflections on the Murrumbidgee River.   I have to admit there is still plenty of water in the river here.

The corner clothing shop,
where I purchased a bright yellow jacket.   Not my usual colour I know, except when cycling, but time to brighten up my wardrobe.    I received a voucher for my birthday, and it had been burning a hole in my bag during the past two weeks.   
The old winding part, which was used to raise the bridge for paddle steamers to go underneath, was now used as an arch for the entrance to the camping ground.
The suspension bridge over the river, which leads to walking paths on the other side.   The bridge was built to commemorate the soldiers who were fighting on the Kokoda Track in Papua New Guinea during Word War II.  The bridge is named after the Wairopi Crossing.    
Piper and I walked around the half a kilometre walk, in amongst the towering gum trees.
I think this tree had been hollowed out during a bush fire.  
The camping ground here, owned by the shire council, is very good.    It has been set out in parkland, and the toilet/shower/laundry block has been renovated with new tiles on the walls and floor plus new hand basins.  

I still think New South Wales is a very rich state, but perhaps not wholly due to the Murrumbidgee irrigation area!    They have many other 'irons in the fire'.   Plus a large population.

I think I am jealous of all they offer here!

Not that I want to live here.     


No comments:

Post a Comment