Sunday 7 August 2011

Blackberrying

The elusive blackberries, which I know are regarded as weeds in NZ and Australia. But here they grow freely in hedgerows, in woods and on any vacant land around.

Now that I no longer have an allotment, I have no access to the beautiful blackberries that grew there. They surrounded two sides of my allotment and threatened to overtake it at times but the blackberries were delicious.

Then I remembered the numerous blackberries that grew in the reserve at Crockenhill when I lived there 19 years ago. So I thought a visit to the reserve would tell me if they still exist, and they do, in abundance.

I also found that much landscaping and development had also occurred and it is now a really delightful park.
With a lovely big playground, seating and paths galore.And ramps and small hills which are suited for the younger BMX bikers. Lucy, Jackson and Isabel enjoyed playing, while I picked the blackberries. I know they should have been helping, but the thought of kitting them out in blackberry proof clothes required too much organisation. However they did try a few blackberries, with mixed reactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment