Sunday 11 November 2012

Eagle Heights, and other attractions in Eynesford

During October half term, I decided to take Lucy, Jackson and Isabel to Eagle Heights, Eynesford.    I thought it would be an interesting place to visit, and it was, in a ramshackle sort of way.    But I would recommend doing so on a lovely sunny summers day.   Eagle Heights is well named as it is situated on the top of the hill, above Eynesford.   And on an Autumn day, the day we visited, it was windy, and cold up there. 

We drove up a very long, and narrow, road to park in a field, hoping that we would not get bogged in the mud.   The sign pointed to a large assortment of dilapidated buildings.    After parting with £24, a bit pricey I thought,  we entered the buildings, and made our way around the exhibits, consisting of an assortment of disinterested and bored looking birds. 

But then I suppose birds always look bored and disinterested, even when they are free.   They are after all, birds.   Mind you if you have recently watched the film 'The Birds' then this is not the place to visit.   My memories of the film returned, when I entered the buildings.  I still remember the birds sitting on power lines, and in trees, just waiting for the signal to attack people.    And the birds in the buildings I had just entered,  looked as if they were also sitting there, waiting to attack us.   But luckily they were attached to their tree stumps, by chains.  All the same, I kept my eye on them, just in case.  
Now this bird was definitely in a sulky mood.   Perhaps it was counting the bricks on the wall.  
We spent time watching a display of birds of prey.    Very well trained birds.
The demonstration included lots of food for the birds.    No not the man below!    That was only in the film.  But I was not keen on all the flapping of wings above my head.
Lunch time for us.    We huddled together to keep warm.    No decent coffee in the antiquated tea rooms either.
But we did have a lovely view over the valley.
But what is this?    A cheetah!    I thought this was a bird sanctuary.   But no, there are some animals here too.   The fences did not look very strong either.    I hope they do not escape.   They looked very mean.
And a camel, posing for us.   Now what is he trying to tell us!
And 25 huskies!   They have been adopted by Eagle Heights.    They started off as pets, but once they grew up, their owners could not look after them.    Eagle Heights run sledge rides, for people who would like to go for a ride on wheeled sledges.    No they do not provide snow as well.
So then it was off down the road, to the warmth of Lullingstone Roman Villa.    Or at least the ruins of the villa, which is covered by a huge tin shed.    The villa was discovered during the late 1930's and excavated after WWII.   It was very impressive.   Unfortunately it was too dark inside to take photographs of the ruins, but luckily I managed to photograph two Romans.    
We drove further along the lane, until we came to Lullingstone Castle.     Once the owners of this huge house, with a castle like entrance, owned all the land around, but due to WWI and mismanagement of family funds, the present owners have been left with the entrance, and the lower part of the house.   They rent the rest of the house out to other people.   However, the castle and house are open during summer months, and there is also a large World Garden, created by the current owner's son.    A very imposing front entrance!
And to my grandchildren's horror, I stopped in the narrow lane, in order to take a photograph of this elegant Victorian structure.    The drivers of the cars behind me waited patiently.  No hooting of horns in this part of the country.  
And today, I drove back to Eynesford, in glorious sunshine, in order to take photographs of the beautiful bridge, ford, river and village.
Such a peaceful scene, and with only a few walkers around.  
 In my more daring and silly days, I can remember riding a horse from Lullingstone Park to Eynesford, in the middle of winter, often in freezing fog, and with ice on the road.  And always through the ford, never over the bridge.    We were always so happy to arrive at this carpark, behind the pub, where we tied the horses up, and went inside to warm up.   The ride back was always easier, for some reason.  Can you get caught for being drunk in charge of a horse?   
Eynesford and the surrounding areas, are such beautiful places to visit, and I am now inspired enough to get my walking boots out, and go for a long walk through the countryside.   But I think I will give Eagle Heights a miss, although I have been told that the eagles have been seen soaring overhead.   Just waiting to swoop down and collect their food.    Not people, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment