Tuesday 12 November 2013

Autumn Gardening

Time to sort the garden out before the winter weather sets in.   The recent mild and wet weather has caused the grass, and plants, to grow still, but experience tells me that these conditions can change.  So I need to get moving, quickly.

Autumn colours, and a bedraggled garden.   Walter inspecting the fence, due to a complaint from our neighbours that our hedge is causing the fence to begin to lean.  The hedge, is not in fact touching the wooden fence, and we think it is the east/west winds causing the problem.   But I will cut the hedge back a bit, anyway, probably will not hurt it.   A gesture of goodwill.   

I find the ownership of the border fences quite a mystery in England.   That is, who is responsible for which fence? The right or left side?  And what happens when you have a back fence? Not to mention the cutting of hedges.  It causes no end of problems!   And disagreements and ill feeling between neighbours.
But with my eye on my little fruit and vegetable garden, I set forth to start the big tidy up.   I forked over the soil, moved three gooseberry bushes from the back to the left hand side, and planted five raspberry canes.      A very tidy looking garden, but bare now.   Only the small patch of New Zealand silver beet still growing strongly.   We must cook it soon, before the frosts knock it down.
 And I look very pleased with myself!
 Autumn colours!
 And pyracantha berries glowing bright, all ready for the birds.
Well I have made a start but plenty more to do.     Next job, the side hedge against the fence, and the jungle at the back, which certainly does need drastic cutting back, in order to give some light and sunshine to the struggling plum trees.   Every onwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment