Tuesday 15 March 2016

A short trip to the Netherlands

A short trip to the Netherlands.  A catch up time with the family here, only a week though, and a bit too short.  But we will be back here in May.   

I flew to Schiphol from Southend, a short trip, only forty minutes.   But an absolute pain, getting through security, both leaving and entering the UK.  I think that staff members in Southend have very little to do, so they spend their time taking security to the extreme, all for our safety of course.  

After dispensing with half of my clothes, just enough left on to preserve my dignity, I was told my plastic bag holding the small bottles of cosmetics was too large.  And of course I was swabbed for drugs, there being no other people checking in at that point.  Luckily I remembered not to wear jewellery, having had to remove all jewellery on a previous trip.  And so it goes on.  When I return I will face an oversupply of immigration officers, some with weapons, who will watch our every move, just in case.   They especially like to harrass people with Australian passports.  Not me anymore, thank goodness.

But I am here, and enjoying life in Houten immensely.  As I sit here writing this blog, my view out of the back patio doors is serene.   Aaron and Kylie have had the back fence removed, and a delightful patio built by landscaper, Ivo de Vries, so the beautiful view through to the woods is now uninterrupted by any solid fixtures.  Instead a lovely patterned patio, with shrubs and plants frame the wider view of the woods.
A walk on a footpath beside of the canals in Utrecht, with carpets of crocuses in bloom.  Not so noticeable in the photograph below.
We found it best to walk on the unsurfaced track rather than walk on the bicycle track, with a risk of being run over.  I did not want a repeat performance of my bicycle accident in Adelaide.
It was such a beautiful day last Sunday.   Great reflections.
Raphy standing proudly beside the daffodils.
More reflections.
A deserted bicycle path looking very inviting in the Spring sunshine.
Raphy loved running up this sculpture.  Perfect for little children.
Hot chips.  Great on a cold day.  But flooded with tomato ketchup.  A reminder to self, no ketchup or mayonnaise next time.
Abi and Raphy enjoying their hot chips and ketchup/mayonnaise.
One more day and then home again.  Sadly.  Lovely being here.

No comments:

Post a Comment