Saturday 9 April 2016

Yearly procrastination - the tax returns

Finally, I have completed my part in the accounting process for the yearly tax returns, so now Walter can submit the figures to the taxation office.   All done.   Finished for the year, and by the 7th April too. 

No matter how carefully I enter the figures on the spreadsheets each month, and double check them, I still seem to make mistakes.   So of course the columns do not balance at the end of the financial year, which results in extra time being spent trying to find the errors.  As I know in advance that this will happen, I tend to procrastinate for a few days, which means that I get nothing else done either.   More time is spent thinking about the task ahead, then actually completing it. 

I would like to point out that there are no offshore, tax dodging investments for us. Or being exposed by the latest scandal, regarding Panana.  Like all small investors, we conscientiously pay our taxes,   After all, we benefit greatly from living in this country, and therefore need to contribute towards paying for the benefits.  This does not appear to apply to all  levels of society, and it would appear the more money one has, the less one is inclined to contribute, via taxes.   But enough said on that subject.   

The next job that I have lined up, mostly affects Walter, but I will watch and support.  The weather has been so miserable he is putting it off.   The task, piecing together a new rose arch for the back garden, which will hopefully stand up to the strong winds that whip through there.   The last one, very cheap, did not even last one year.
We did complete the task in the photograph below, during my accounting procrastination period.   We built a border around the rhubarb, in order to stop the soil from washing down onto lawn, or more accurately, the uneven grassed and stoney area.  Mole activity is rampant here.
And here we go again, mole activity beside the new border.   I notice that our neighbours bowling green lawn is no longer smooth.   They have a mole there too.   The moles are actually solitary creatures, and it is amazing how one mole can make such a mess in the garden.
And I will end with a photograph of a beautiful Spring display, a gift from Aaron and Kylie.  Dutch flower shops are so skilled at putting together flower arrangements.  It has certainly been giving us much pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment