Thursday 26 May 2016

Toverland

A visit to Toverland, an amusement park situated near Venlo, on the German border.    A long drive from Houten, but worth it, in the end.   

We set off in two cars, Kylie, Abi and her two friends, Raphy, Walter and me.   The weather was sunny and warm, but not too hot.    Most schools had finished their holidays so we predicted that Toverland would be quiet.   A perfect day. 

But alas, there were coaches queued up, filled with excited children.   School trips.   We had not expected this.   However, it turned out to be not overly busy, thank goodness.   
We packed the small trailer, which made carrying lunches and changes of clothes so much easier.
There are two very large halls, filled with rides and play equipment.   Perfect in wintertime.   We certainly appreciated being inside when we visited the park two and a half years ago.

The brightly coloured chair ride.   But not for me, too whizzy.   It was more like coffee time at that point, so desperately needed, after a long drive.   Not that it was brilliant coffee, these places never seem to get it right.   But it was caffeine.  And hot.
The park had been extended since we were there last.   Beautifully landscaped, with plenty of areas to sit and enjoy the sunshine.  

The water display, set to music.   Not bad at all.
Muscles are needed for this ride, as it requires the children to pull themselves to the top.   Abi and her friend looking down at me, and feeling very pleased with themselves.
The huge roller coaster, the longest one I have ever seen.   I went on it last time, and the ride seemed to go on forever.  I declined this year, even though it was a lovely sunny day, and the views on the way up would have been breathtaking.
Riding the rapids on the circular boat.  Walter and Abi hanging on tightly.
The high ropes walk.   This activity looked very exhausting.   We made our base at one of the tables on the lawn.   It was very pleasant.  Toverland is not just about fast and exciting rides.   It is also about picnics, leisure, and imaginative play areas for children.  In front of the lawn was a water area, where children could play with rafts, and cross a swing bridge, and get very wet.  
A little entertainment for the younger school children.
A dry toboggan run.   Walter and I loved this ride, although we only went on it once.    And I did not put the handbrake on either, which the people behind me must have appreciated.   When I went on one in Germany I had a line of tobogganers behind me, totally frustrated and annoyed, due to my slow descent.   They kept yelling at me, first in German and then in English, to release the brake.   No way I answered.   I am not keen on speed.  

I would have had another turn, but getting out of the toboggan was a problem.  Thank goodness Walter pulled me up, otherwise I would still be there, whizzing around the circuit.  I am definitely getting older, as getting up, and out of the flume boats was also a major event.  
  We all had a lovely day, plenty for the children to do, and a relaxing time for Kylie, Walter and me.

Walter and I felt a triffle stiff the next day.    

No comments:

Post a Comment