Monday 18 September 2017

Determination - Camping Manjastre

We are determined not to let the weather deter us from having a good time.    We currently have two types of weather patterns, windy and chilly but with sunshine, or overcast and chilly and with rain.   

Today I got the small heater out, and amazingly it still works.   The first time we have used it since late October, 2009.    So I am sitting in the caravan as I write this, with the heater on, and a rug over my legs.   I feel very cosy.

But one must always remember, and down here we remind ourselves of this constantly, the weather is colder and wetter up north.    So not too much complaining really.

Yesterday we went to La Londe market, and spent a couple of hours happily wandering around in the sunshine buying all the items we saw the previous Sunday.    No rash decisions there.   There were also more winter clothes out for sale too.   Colder weather.

We stopped for a lovely cup of coffee, and sat in the sunshine for a short while.
I bought a pair of trousers, and a very warm cardigan with a hood.   Luckily I left it in the back of the car because I had to get it out and wear it during lunch today.    
 In the afternoon we drove up to Bormes-les-Mimosa to have a look at the craft stalls there.    It was so windy, the stall holders were having trouble keeping their wares on the table.    I bought three jars of orange marmalade.   We opened one tonight and it was so delicious.   Good buy there.
 The view over Bormes village.  Serene I know, but the wind was blowing strongly.
 When  I returned I was determined to go for my daily afternoon swim.   The water was extremely chilly, to the point that my legs were tingling when I got out.   I then tried to find a less windy spot by the pool in order to sunbathe, which was difficult, but determination was there.   I lasted until 5 p.m.

My towels and two piece bathing suit drying very quickly on the line.
 Today we washed clothes, and as before, everything got an extra rinse on the line,  due to the lightly falling rain.     We decided to head off to Collobrieres to our favourite restaurant, with its balcony over the stream.    Only on this occasion people were sitting inside, rather than outside on the terrace, and as usual the place was full of people, with many being turned away.    Only those people with bookings could sit inside, so we sat outside on the narrow terrace.   This is why I went back to the car to get my new cardigan.    There were many people going back to their cars to get warmer jackets.   It was very wet and cold.

The food was delicious.   Walter chose the Salade Paysanne (local salade) and I chose the Plat du Jour (plate of the day) which was duck in a fig sauce with vegetables.   And it was delicious.   I decided that as I was in the chestnut village I would have the marron (chestnut) desert with Fromage Frais on top.  
 This was the first time I have visiited Collobrieres in anything but brilliant sunshine.   And often it has been extremely hot there.   But I guess it can rain too.    Walter sheltering under his umbrella, in front of the square.
No swimming this afternoon.   Instead we went to the bar for pre dinner drinks, and joined a large crowd of people also doing the same thing.   Much more sociable.

The red wine was last years vintage, and very delicious.   It was great to think that I helped to pick the grapes.    Much more meaningful.

Tomorrow the forecast is for sunshine, with the accompanying wind too no doubt.  

No comments:

Post a Comment