Saturday 5 March 2011

Garden

Today we paid Scott to cut down the conifers beside the front steps. It works both ways. Scott is always keen to earn some extra money and we are happy because he does the jobs that we hate doing, like cutting down conifers that have grown too big for the garden. Now I can be creative and look at different planting for this part of the garden.
Scott cutting the last part of the last conifer. Not an easy job!

The mole in the front garden is starting to get on my nerves. There are holes erupting everywhere, so it has to go but how! I must go onto Google and find a way to get rid of it. The front garden is surrounded by concrete steps, walls, house, road and driveways so it is amazing how the mole managed to get into the garden in the first place. But it must be removed!
A very busy mole!

The back garden is really bursting into bloom and leaf. I dug over the small vegetable patch, not the size of my allotment by any means, but enough for a lady who spends a lot of time away. Today I planted two elephant garlic bulbs (not really garlic but belong to the leek family), put ginger into a tub in the shed to sprout, put some potatoes in the shed to sprout, planted broad bean seeds and spring onion seeds. Apparently if you gradually pick the spring onions as they come up you will have small onions to eat first and then you leave the last few to grow into large spring onions. Hopefully they will all germinate so that I can test this theory. I don't have much luck with rhubarb here, although I had a huge patch of it at the allotment. I think I am killing it with kindness in this garden. I have planted new raspberry canes so hopefully can start a new raspberry patch off again.The blackcurrant bushes are bursting into leaf, the green strip is chard (silver beet) which I planted last August, the black plastic covers the weeds which I hope will become compost in two weeks (in my dreams!). My mini allotment!

The weather was grey today and very cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment