Wednesday 3 April 2013

Buller Gorge

A walk across the swing bridge at Buller Gorge.   This was very daring, for someone who does not like heights, and especially heights that swing as one walks.    So after parting with $5 I attempted to walk across, without Walter as he had to go back to the car to put on some sandfly repellent.    This was sandfly country, and they certainly liked new blood, especially Walter's blood.    

I had no problems, really, with the walk, but then I had no children with me either. The type of children that enjoy bouncing up and down, and causing me to yell out in fear of us all tumbling down into the river below.   Darren and Emma loved to scare me when walking the Greenstone track.
 Once over the other side I could have sped back on the flying fox (zip wire), but thought I was too old for this caper.
 Instead I took the fifteen minute walk option, which came with signs describing the 1929 earthquake.   This earthquake measured 7.8 on the Richter Scale.    The land was thrust up by 4.5 metres, as can be seen on the sides of the gorge in the photograph below.
 The narrow faultline, cut deep into the land.    I felt very uneasy walking along this path.
 The peaceful Buller River, very green and  very deep.    Apparently it is not wise to swim in this river, due to the strong current under the surface.    There is also a chance that a speedboat may come hurtling around the corner at full speed.    This river is a popular place for jet boats.
After walking at full speed, in case there was another earthquake, but mainly to keep ahead of the sandflies, I then quickly walked across the swing bridge again, and back to Walter and our car.   Safe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment