Tuesday 24 September 2013

Cleaning the kitchen appliances

Well I am sure that no one really wants to know about our clean oven, but I am so proud of it, that I must put pen to paper, or in this case type to computer.    Just look at the photograph below, our oven, gleaming and shiny.  Except for the one black dot on the floor, bottom left of the oven.  I must have missed that spot.  Very annoying.

Of course we would not have had such a dirty oven, if I had not decided to experiment in making homemade Yorkshire puddings.   And to perfect my cooking skills, I made quite a few batches of them.  But I did not realise that too much oil in the bottom of the patty pans resulted in it boiling over the top.  Then it stuck like glue to the racks and the tray at the bottom of the oven.    

 So on Sunday I was determined to get back to the new look, a gleaming oven. I initially sprayed the oven with Mr Muscle, and nearly asphyxiated us.   So I washed it all off, and went off to the shops.   There must be something better.   In the meantime, my thoughful husband, got to work on the racks, and scraped and scraped away, and when I returned, they were perfectly clean.   Well done, Walter.   

But I found a fantastic product at Wilkinsons, their own brand oven cleaner.  The ingredients, were pretty toxic, but no smell or fumes.   The bottom tray went into a thick plastic bag, with half of the gel, and I wiped the remainder of the gel around the inside of the oven, using a sponge and the plastic gloves provided.  Six hours later the mess had all gone from the tray and oven.  I washed and wiped them clean, and deposited the plastic bag into the rubbish bin.   I must admit, at that point, I did think about the effects on the environment.  Powerful stuff.

But we have a clean, and gleaming oven.    Just like new, which it practically is, too.
 While on the subject of cleaning appliances, our 'bean to cup' coffee machine is an interesting one to clean.   High tech too.   When the cleaning light comes on, the book comes out, and it is absolutely cruicial to do as instructed at the correct times, otherwise there is a big mess up of the machine, electronically, and it needs to go back to the manufacturer to be reset.   And as we love our coffee, that would be a disaster.
So our oven is sparkling clean, and the coffee machine is in good working condition.    Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment