Monday 21 October 2013

A day in London

My blogs for the next week will not have a logical order.   First the wifi played up, and then would not work at all.   As soon as Aaron fixed the wifi problem, my computer would not allow me to log on, so in the end I gave up.   Now we are back home, with a working wifi system and a repaired computer.   But we now have new experiences to write about so I will include the remainder of the Netherland blogs, in between my UK blogs.

Mia and Abi are visiting us for a week, as it is their autumn half term break.    They came back with us in the car on Saturday and will return to the Netherlands with me, on Sunday, on an Easy Jet flight from Southend.

They spent Saturday evening and yesterday having fun with their cousins, Jackson and Isabel, plus a visit to the cinema to see a film about a 'racing' snail.   I will never again stomp on snails after watching the movie!  And we finished yesterday off, with a delicious roast beef dinner at Emma and Steve's.   A little bit of English food for our Dutch grandchildren.   Most enjoyable.

Today we set forth to explore London.   And of course we experienced the usual 'delayed' train and holdups on the line as we approached London Bridge.   Mia and Abi also wrinkled their noses and commented on the 'smelly' train.   And they are too, compared to the very clean trains in the Netherlands.

Mia and Abi, waiting patiently for the 'delayed' train to Charing Cross.   
Finally we arrived at Charing Cross.   And there were a great number of red telephone boxes, installed for the tourists no doubt.    Mia and Abi were very happy to see them.
Lunch at the Chandos pub.  Children are so observant.   Mia and Abi immediately noticed the man with a barrel of beer, on the top point of the pub.   Not real of course, but there was movement there.   I have eaten at this pub on a number of occasions and never noticed this display.
They loved the dining area, very 'gezellig' was their opinion.
The fire added to the atmosphere, and to the warmth.   A very mild day.
A view of the street outside, through coloured glass window panes.   A toilet area with a view!
Off to Trafalgar Square, after negotiating the busy road which surrounds it, and rewarded with a picture of the blue rooster, which really stood out on the gloomy day.
Mia and Abi looking very small, standing on the statue of Nelson, who they mistook for Napoleon Bonaparte.   A slip up there girls.   Wrong country.
It is fantastic that the pedestrianised areas around Trafalgar Square have been enlarged, but it is still a nightmare negotiating the streets around the square.
Off to the London Eye.   Looking up I knew that I would not like this experience.   And I was correct.
After taking a photograph of Mia and Abi, I gave the camera to Mia, who then proceded to stand close to the glass in order to get some very good photographs.

I sat on the seat in the middle of the cabin and pretended I was somewhere else, preferably on the ground.   But I did glance out of the windows, now and again, so I could see the views of London were spectacular.  If you like heights, that is.   Mia and Abi loved it all.
The Houses of Parliament and Big Ben.
A stunning picture of the bridge below.
Charing Cross station.
The Shard.
The fairground ride.   A well balanced photograph, I thought.
Looking back.  As the cabins move over the top.   Our apology to the lady, who unfortunately also got caught in the photograph.
Buildings, buildings and more buildings.   And a tower in front.
Abi, smiling and looking happy.
We think this is a Japanese garden.   Well I only saw it on the camera, after it was taken, so of course I have no idea really.
Towers, towers and more towers.  I think Mia took some stunning photographs.   Well done, Mia.
After we got off the London Eye, we went to the playground.   Mia and Abi played on the wooden play equipment, and I sat, and calmed my nerves.   I was so relieved I was no longer up on that big round ferris wheel.  No coffee in sight either.  I really needed one too.
Then off we went to explore the South Bank.   First stop the graffitti covered walls of the skate boarding area.  I think there are people who are trying to close this area down.   Sadly.
The Tate Modern came into view, and time for afternoon tea, but too late for looking at the displays.  We needed to move on.
The Shard, ever present in this part of London.
Mia and Abi were impressed with The Globe, and discussed at some length, the posters displaying the different Shakespeare plays.
Mia and Abi were impressed with the anchors,
but were a little overdone when it came to discussing Sir Francis Drake, his world trip, and the model of his famous galleon, The Golden Hinde.   I do not think I would like to be out in a rough sea, in that tiny ship.
Finally a quick walk through Borough Market, and into London Bridge station, where we found more cancellations, delayed trains, and apologies over the loudspeakers.  After rushing from Platform 1 to Platform 4, we managed to get onto a very overcrowded train, which took us to Bexley station.

We arrived back home feeling very happy and satisfied with our day in London.    And lots to talk about too.

No comments:

Post a Comment