Thursday 3 October 2013

Spiders

I am not a lover of spiders, especially large ones, that we have found in our house.   Walter very kindly evicts them, out into the garden,  where they then find their way back into the house, no doubt.

There have recently been alarming stories in our local newspapers about False Black Widow spiders in England, large and deadly.    But in fact they are not particular large, and their bite is only dangerous if you are unfortunately allergic to their bite.   But some newspapers like to sensationilise, otherwise how will they sell their newspapers.

I definitely do not like Huntsman spiders in Australia, large bodies and long legs, harmless I know.    We have watched them spinning their webs above us, as we sat outside on a hot summers evening.  I never parked the car under a tree at night, or left a car window down, in case a Huntsman decided to make a home inside the csr.   A Huntsman spider running across the inside of the front window of a car, has caused many an accident.   Once one ran across the outside of the front window of my car, and I completely freaked out.   Luckily I was only travelling about 5 kmh.

But I love the spider webs that adorn our garden, hedgerows and woodland, during the months of June to October.   They absolutely glisten in the early morning dew.   And the small spiders in the webs have such beautiful patterns and markings.   

A very large creature must have flown straight through this web, and made a hole in it.   A garden spider lives here.  I have seen it, and sadly had to break the web up, in order to trim the bush, but the next day, there was another web, thank goodness.   Such a lot of work.
I think the spider that made this web is an Orb-Web spider.  It is a mixture of tiny threads.   There are lots of these webs on the heathers in Joyden's Wood.
Another lacy web.   Perfectly formed.
Pretty webs and pretty spiders.   Fascinating.  

No comments:

Post a Comment