Saturday 22 November 2014

Red Wine - Oh No.

This is wine, honestly.  Knocked off the side table.  With my elbow.  And no I was not drunk, far from it.  I had only taken my first sip.  

It went everywhere, as red one does when it is knocked over.   It looked impressive, bright red against the cream carpet.

The glass did not break, by the way.  Due to landing on nice soft carpet.
 After I recovered from the shock, I grabbed the salt container and sprinkled it over the bright red splotches.  A panic response really.  I remembered the salt trick from  the Australian dinner parties of the 1980s.

The salt brings the wine to the surface and diffuses it somewhat.  Well this is what I hoped would happen.  

I left it for two hours.  Oh my, our beautiful carpet, ruined, either by the wine or the salt.
I swept up the salt, mostly bright red by now, and underneath the salt the colour was more pronounced, but it appeared to be on the carpet surface.

A rummage through the cupboard and hey presto, some liquid left in the 1001 Stain Remover container.  Good for getting out stains, including wine, from the carpet.

So I promptly sponged the area using stain remover and a little water, and within minutes the stain had gone.  There does appear to be a shadow in this photograph, but not noticable, when looking at the floor.  Could be just the pile of the carpet.
I breathed a sigh of relief.  The first accident, to our new cream carpet.  And quite a drastic one.  Red wine.

So today I went to the supermarket and stocked up on all sorts of remedies for spillages on the carpet; 1001 Stain Remover, white vinegar, baking soda, washing soda.  Apparently pouring white wine onto the red wine neautralises it.  A bit of a waste of white wine, but desperate measures call for anythimg at hand.

I am now all prepared!

1 comment:

  1. It was nearing the end of the day and I made the mistake of setting my wine glass on the edge of my desk. I bumped my desk with my office chair knocking my glass of red wine to the floor and splattering my carpet in the process. I didn't have any carpet cleaner or supplies on hand--but I did have white wine! Thanks to your tip, I was able to successfully remove the stain!
    Carpet Cleaning

    ReplyDelete