Wednesday 22 May 2019

Bormes les Mimosas - the most beautiful village

Bormes les Mimosas is the most beautiful hill top village I have visited, which is why it is always full of tourists!   Medieval, quaint, beautifully maintained, and full of interesting buildings and plants.   I know that I raved about Grimaud which we visited yesterday.   Plus there are other equally lovely hill top villages around, but most certainly Bormes les Mimosas has an edge on them all.

Today we decided that we would visit Bormes les Mimosas so that I could look at the gardens, with a view of gaining some ideas.   I forgot that it was market day, and that meant it would be extra busy.

There is a huge multi level car park, which covers the side of a hill.   I dropped Walter at the top and made my way down in the car to the second bottom level, in other words, down in the valley.   It was then I realised that Walter had the car key, which meant I could not lock the car.   The Audi being one of those modern cars where one presses a button to start the car, but still needs the key to lock and unlock it.   What to do?   I could not leave the car unlocked while I ran up four flights of steps to get the key.   So I rang Walter, at a cost of $5, due to having to use an international call, via Australia.   We met halfway!

I managed to take a photograph of an Australian bottlebrush tree, which was growing on the level that the car was parked on.   
The market, much more of an artisan market then the usual local markets.   Beautiful things for sale, at quite a high price, but all we could do was look, as we are nearly at our maximum weight, luggage wise, for the flight to the Netherlands in a couple of weeks time.   The clothes and linen were especially stunning.   Oh well!
We walked to the top of the village, although not quite to the chateau, and then started to meander down through the village, following the tourist circuit signs.

First stop, Place De L'Isclou D'Amour.   I cannot remember the name of the tree that Walter is standing underneath.   It comes out in the most beautiful red flowers in Spring, then the leaves appear.
A private courtyard garden, peaceful and shady.
I love all the garden pots, but they are so expensive in Adelaide.   It is so hard starting again, but some creative thought may help.   The blue glazed pot below was just too gorgeous.
The bright orange flowers in this pot, are actually geraniums.    No doubt they are given a lot of attention.   The ones I see around Aldinga Beach just look woody and straggly.     I might think again about having a geranium or two, for a spot of colour.   Looked after well too.
I love the archways in these old villages.
More pots, and a wire gate, plus Walter helping to set the scene.
And what do we have here, a cat sound asleep in a flower pot.   Very cute.
I always love looking at this little cafe, although I do not think this is the most flattering photograph.
More buildings, and quaint corners.
Looking up the main street, Rue Carnot.  Susanne and Brian will remember this street well.   When we were there a mad man in an old car came hurtling down it sending people running to the sides.   He managed to hit a woman and a dog, but it could have been a lot worse..   The man continued on, without stopping, and exited out at the end.  I presume the police eventually caught up with him.  Luckily three of us were in a shop, but Brian had to jump out of the way.  It  gave us quite a scare, and ever since then I keep close to the buildings.   Silly I know, as it was just a one off incident. 
One of the side streets, with fascinating shops and at the end the most brilliant display of bougainvilleas.
Eglise St Trophyme, which is where I go to Mass.   A Romanesque style church, built against the houses, and constructed between 1175 and 1783.
It is also dark inside, and the grim statues of saints look very scary in the half light.   Thank goodness they turn the lights on fully, during services. 
A beautiful dark pink bougainvillea.
We had lunch in an Italian style restaurant, which Emma and Steve found when holidaying here.   Delicious pizzas.    Another glass of red wine for me, but no non alcoholic beer for Walter.   We sat in the corner by the window, very comfortable and quiet, and looked out onto this view. 

We actually wanted to sit out on the terrace, but I got my French all muddled up, and the owner thought I wanted to sit upstairs, and there was no upstair area of course.   Such a stupid mistake.   Anyway everyone else went out onto the terrace and we were left in peace inside.
We stopped at the supermarket on the way home, to do our shopping, and only bought one small cake, which we cut in half.  This was all we could justify after eating a pizza each.

No comments:

Post a Comment