Thursday 23 May 2019

Le Lavandou and much better weather

Today the temperature reached 23 degrees, with a slight breeze.   I decided that I would start to wear summer clothes at long last.

We could not make our minds up about where to go today, as both of us were feeling a little lazy due to the warm sunshine.    I remembered that there was a shirt that I wanted to buy in Le Lavandou, which I have been thinking about for a whole week.   Was this just a whim?   Did I really need another shirt?   Can I fit it in my suitcase?  But the temptation to buy it was too great and we set off to make the purchase.

There was a range of colours to choose from too, and this made the selection very difficult.   In the end I chose a white shirt, which has a cream pattern running through it.   I know, it is most impractical for Aldinga Beach, what with a dog, a dusty environment plus the likely hood  of coffee or wine being spilt on it.   But hey ho. 
The swimming pool here has been empty of people, and I am definitely not tempted to do an early morning swim in it.   Nor even a swim later on in the day.  However, if this weather keeps up I may be tempted to lie on the sun loungers.   Gorgeous pool though.
  There are four donkeys here now and they have been separated into groups of two.   For birth control reasons?   I must ask.   They still have their winter coats on, so are very fluffy.
While we were having coffee this morning we watched a man pruning the grape vines below.   He is in the photo below, but at the end of the row, just in front of his car.   It was mesmerising.   One can tell we have nothing much to do at the moment. 
 We went into Le Lavandou later in the morning. and panicked a bit about where to park the car, due to a perceived shortage of car parks as it was market day.   In actual fact as we walked along the promenade we saw heaps of car parks, all easier to get into than the one we chose.

The Audi squashed in between two cars.   It took Walter ages to park it, not helped by impatient drivers around him trying to get in and out.   He also had to park on the white line on one side, so that he could get out of the car. Scary.
Le Lavandou, is our local seaside resort, and although not glitzy or overdone as St Tropez, it is still a holiday resort town, and full of holiday makers in the summer time.  Like St Tropez it was once a fishing village.   

The council has placed chairs along the promenade, which people can move to a spot that is in the shade or sun or has a better view.   Hopefully they will  not get stolen, as they are colourful, comfortable and very versatile.
 Each chair has the name on it.   Will that stop people I wonder.   I hope so, as it is a great idea.
A very quiet time of year.   In August these pavements are crowded with people.   The beach is on the right hand side of the pavement.
 Now back to the plants, which certainly looked much better on a sunny day.
The two Strelitzia plants or bird of paradise plants.   The first one, also called a false banana plant, has very plain white flowers, usually high up in the plant.   This specimen had been pruned and the flowers were low down.   The second one has the beautiful orange flowers.   There were plenty of both plants along the side of the promenade.
A perfectly groomed purple Bougainvillea.
 A highly perfumed Jasmine.
 Boats, boats and more boats.   I think I have taken a photo in this spot every time I have gone for a walk along the harbour end of Le Lavandou.
 Walter chose a blue chair, in which to have a little rest.
 The restaurants were beginning to open for lunch but we resisted the temptation.
 A view back towards the centre part, with the boules pitches on the left.   No one playing, too early in the day.
 Our favourite cafe Le Center.   Last week when we were there it must have been about 14 degrees, raining and cold.
 My favourite dress shop, Marie la Lune, where I bought my shirt.  I think I have spent a bit of money over the years in this shop. 
So after resisting temptation of both eating lunch at a restaurant and buying a cake on the way home, we went home and ate a healthy salad.   And spent the afternoon reading our books.   Very lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment