Monday 6 May 2019

Changes

Since Emma, Steve, Jackson and Isabel have moved into their house, and taken all their furniture, some from the UK and some they have bought here, we have been very busy in the house and the garden.   Not a moment to spare.

We shopped in Ikea, of course, plus a few other shops, and also visited every charity shop between here and Marion!   Some of the charity shops are very big, and beautifully set out, so it is a pleasure to visit them.    Nothing like recycling items.

The lounge room has a few extra pictures on the wall, courtesy of one charity shop, plus a new lampshade on the left, and a few more ornaments.
This lamp was a little splash out, a moment of indulgence, or madness.    The strange looking light, which can only face the painting or the wall as it is too bright, cost us $150, and it was on sale, reduced from $300. 
Two new club chairs from Ikea.   The area outside the windows has two plants, inherited with the house.   Much more is needed in what was once the cat run.
A print from Ikea!  And they are everywhere, these type of prints, but not to worry as they look good on our wall too.
The Miner, finally in a new frame.    This print belonged to Walter's mother and we had to take it out of the original frame in order to carry it to the UK in a suitcase.   In the end we managed to find a poster frame from a shop called Neds.   
A new picture for the wall, some second hand cushions, new bedside cabinets and duvet covers, and hey presto a revamped bedroom.
The new ceiling heater in our bathroom.    No more cold bathrooms in the winter time.
This area, with the staghorn plant from a neighbour, and shade plants that were left here, will be joined in July by ferns.   A lovely shady area at the end of the verandah, and as long as it gets watered during the hot months it should be a very pleasant and restful area.   The rain water tank is only a short distance away too.
My token olive tree in a pot in a sunny position.    Hopefully I will get a few olives off to preserve, but if not it will be a lovely small tree to provide interest to this area.
My token small bougainvillea in the large pot on the left. I may try something larger and shape it into a bush, but experience has told me they can easily become rampart and overgrown.   I always loved the purple bougainvillea that grew over our outside toilet at Henley Beach.   A perfect spot for it. 
I am not sure about the variety of this striped succulent with sharp pointy ends. A dangerous plant.  It could be from the Yukka family.  More like that than the softer Agave family.  All I know is that it is going from this garden.
I have thick long sleeved leather gloves, a Christmas present from Margaret, which I have used to successfully shield my hands and arms as I cut off the leaves on this horrible plant.   Now I need Darren's strength to get the base of it out of the soil.   It was also planted in the narrow part of a raised garden bed.
This Yucca shrub was definitely going to be removed, but Darren suggested pulling all the lower leaves off, and make it into a feature tree.   And I must admit he is correct.   I think I even like it now.
Succulents appeared on the Adelaide scene during the 26 years we were away.  When they are well cared for, and have other interesting plants amongst them they look quite attractive.   Unfortunately in Aldinga Beach, many houses put a few in the front gardens, and never attend to them again.   So they live on, either in an overgrown mess, or amongst bark or stones.    Most unattractive.   And it has quite put me off succulents.

I have had a major clear out of them in this garden.   However I have potted up small specimens, just in case I change my mind.   And the head gardener, Darren, has assured me that they will look really good amongst shrubs and flowers.
In two days time Darren will cut back the giant white bird of paradise or wild banana, as they have just become so overgrown.   The neighbours will be really happy as they hang over the fence.   The correct name for them is Strelitzia nicolai.   Interestingly the white flowers are not very interesting.   We also have the smaller Strelitzia plants but they have not become overgrown.   The Norfolk pine in the corner is a variety that does not grow very large, according to Darren.   I hope he is right.
Piper attacked this fig tree, so have had to replace it.   I have also planted a guava, a lemon, a grape vine and a cultivated blackberry, all along the fence.   Will be espaliered. such grand plans!  But hopefully I will cover the metal fence and grow fruit at the same time.
In the corner, out of the way, behind the shed, I am developing the vegetable garden beds.   It also houses the compost bin, and the large tank.   Hopefully the current rain is filling the tank up again as I emptied it in January by forgetting to turn the tap off one day.   Water is so precious in this dry climate.
More succulents, the Agave plants.   These were going to be thrown out, until I was told they were expensive to buy in a garden shop.  Not that I am intending to set up a business selling them.   They must be easy to propagate as there are thousands growing in the gardens in Aldinga Beach.  The nectar from some Agaves can be used as a sweetener.   All this succulent growing is a new experience for me.   And one that I may learn to like and enjoy.
But back to the house, or rather the shed.    The cave has developed a new look, with a couch from the local charity shop and our chairs from our UK conservatory.
All the DVDs are out there now, so will be a nice comfy place in order to turn the sound up a bit.   A regular little cinema.
At the other end of the shed is the table tennis table,
with the fridge, chairs and dart board at the end by the cave.  Most of the pool floaties have been stored away until next summer.
Outside the shed, there is a shady area, for alfresco meals, or drinks.   It needs something a bit more to make the area an attractive place. 
A house and garden in transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment