Thursday 17 February 2011

Renovations

We have been busy scraping back old paint, filling holes and painting at Emma and Steve's house in Bromley.

The last time I worked on an old house was back in the 1980's when we renovated the house in Henley Beach. I had forgotten about old paintwork, flaking plaster, old ceilings and dust. This house is the same age as the one we owned in Henley Beach as both were built in the 1890's. The only difference is the current house was built for local workers and is relatively small and the house in Henley Beach was a very large villa, which also meant grander problems.

The memories! I remember the termites which ate away a fair bit of the woodwork but left the paint so you were unaware of the damage until you touched it. One problem I solved was to fill in the bay window sill with lots of cement which worked but I hope no one has ever tried to take the window out since then. I remember the huge front enclosed verandah that was very solid, due to being reinforced with railway lines and thick mesh but leaked like a sieve due to the metal swelling and cracking the cement. I remember the ceiling which collapsed one day, again due to the termites having eaten away the woodwork holding it up. It took 9 years to renovate the house and then we sold it. We had lots of very happy times in the villa though, in between renovating.

Back to the house in Bromley where the renovations are very achievable, and it will be a lovely home for Emma, Steve, Jackson and Isabel. In the meantime I have refound the skills of polyfilling (I have used three tubs of polyfiller already) holes and making good the edges and corners. There are no termites to worry about thank goodness so I have kept away from using cement to fill holes!
I love wearing the outfit! Walter enjoying painting the bannisters!

And there is no Ofsted, no targets, no league tables!

No comments:

Post a Comment