Friday 9 March 2012

Petrol into diesel

 We finally did it!    We put petrol into a diesel car.   After all this time, all the different cars that we have owned, all the different cars that we have hired when travelling, we have finally made a mistake.   In a funny sort of way, we are satisfied, at least we have done it, given that the law of averages meant that one day we would forget which car we were in and put the wrong fuel in.  Thank goodness it is not possible to put diesel into a petrol car in the UK so at least that scenario has been eliminated.

It was Walter who actually put the hose into the tank of the Citroen, and filled the tank with petrol.   Two thirds of a tank.    In his defence he had been putting petrol into cars for the past four months in Australia and New Zealand.    And was distracted because he was on the way to court for jury service.   For my part, I have no defence.   I was probably sitting in the car playing solitaire on my telephone, instead of watching the pump.  

Well the car ran beautifully to the courts in Thamesmead, where I dropped Walter off.   And it was okay until I accelerated up a hill, and then the car started to splutter, hiccup and shudder.  I fleetingly thought about the fuel,  but I was too intent on getting to the dentist to seriously consider such a possibility.   Although I had trouble starting the car after the visit to the dentist, I persisted, and the car spluttered into life.  I sensibly drove home, rather than meet Kathy and Fred for lunch, with the car shuddering and hiccuping and surging all the way.    And at home I waited and waited and it was not until 4.30 that I finally was able to ring Walter, and he owned up to using the green hose rather than the black hose.  

So of course, we spent the evening researching the internet to find out the possible damage of mixing petrol with diesel.    And it was not good news.    By the time we went to bed, we had visions of £1,000's of pounds of damage, new engine, petrol eating away at pipes etc, etc.   Walter found it difficult to sleep.   Our poor car.    Our even poorer bank balance.

So with nervous trepidation I set out to drive the car to the local garage.   As I had already driven it the day before, driving another few miles was not going to add to the damage.   So after a few coughs and splutters and lots of black smoke the car hiccuped and shuddered out onto the main road, where it suddenly came to life and took off.    Jet propelled.    Such power.    I thought I was going to take off and fly.   I managed to turn a corner at 20 mph, and luckily there were no cars in sight, which was unusually for the time of day.

The owner of the garage was not fazed, at all.  I did set the records straight though and said that it was Walter who had put the petrol into the car.   Why is it that garage owners always think it is the woman's fault.

I was given this speedy little Suziki to use.    I loved it, even though it did not have power steering, which is very useful for parking and I am not very good at that anyway.
The end result.   Well, I found out that our insurance covered us for the occasions that we might put petrol into the diesel car.   Great insurance company.    That was good news.

But in the end the mechanics drained the fuel out, replaced the fuel filter, gave it advanced diesel treatment, drained the car again, put in some more diesel and drained it yet again, and hey presto the car was as good as new.   And it only cost £230.  I did not even get a chance to really try out the speedy Suzuki.

And it appears that there are many horror stories around, which people believe of course, us included.   Apparently we still had enough diesel in the car to protect all its parts.    And the car was still going.  But if we had taken the car to a Citroen dealer, there was a big chance they would replace as much as they could and charge accordingly.    Especially if the car is still under guarantee.   And the cost would have been thousands of pounds.

So the moral of the story is, if you do find yourself in such a situation, and many people do, then do not panic, even if you drive it with the incorrect fuel in it.   If the car is still running, than there will be little damage.   Of course if it seizes up completely that is a different story.   Best not to think of that story.

Of course the most sensible thing, is to check that the hose you are holding in your hand will deliver diesel, not petrol, to your diesel car.  

But no one is infallible!  As we found out.

No comments:

Post a Comment