Tuesday 8 January 2013

Shoes, namely flip flops

Shoes, or rather the type of shoes that use one's toes as a means of hanging onto the feet.   Commonly called flip flops in the UK, Germany and the Netherlands but they also go by the names of  thongs or jandals in Australia and New Zealand.   

When I worked I wore sensible shoes, but retirement brings freedom, even in shoes.   And now I love wearing flip flops, especially once I learnt to keep them on my feet.   

So, when packing for our forthcoming trip to Australia/New Zealand, I retrieved my four pairs of flip flops from the cupboard, in order to make a decision, about which ones to take. 
  The white pair, bought when I arrived at the Gold Coast, Australia, in November 2011.   These are the flip flops that I used to harden off the skin between the toes. and which, initially, I could only wear for ten minutes at a time.  They cost $2, good value, and well used, but ingrained with dirt from the campsite in the south of France.   They definitely went into the suitcase.

The brown leather flip flops, bought from a shoe shop, in some country town in New South Wales, Australia.  Expensive.   But ruined because I clambered across rocks in them, and got them wet.    Not a good idea to scramble across rocks, whilst wearing leather flip flops.   Not if you want to stay upright, or avoid an accident.   I put them back into the cupboard.   I have not the heart to throw them out, not after paying so much money.

The silver psuedo Birkenstocks, with the cork soles, bought from a cheap shop in the Netherlands.    Very comfortable.   And they look the real thing too, unless one is in the know.    No Birkenstock emblem on the button.   At least no one will take them from the shoe rack outside the swimming pool in the south of France.   It did happen to someone I know, who left a pair of genuine Birkenstocks there, and someone stole them.   These flip flops are definitely going to Australia with me.

The super trendy looking flip flops with clear plastic bits to go between the toes.  These were bought in a sports shop in Germany, in order to wear them in the camping ground showers.    They are agony to wear, even for five minutes.    They went into the bin.

Now what is this?    Definitely not flip flops.   A foot warmer!   
Walter came home from the sales with it.  .        Very generous.   It is a cushion with a hot water bottle at the bottom.   The feet go through the openings.   Perfect, as long as a sudden move is not required.   Always ready to innovate, it is perfect as a warm cushion for the back.   But no, I will not be taking it to Australia with me, unless I can find a way of putting an ice pack in it to keep my feet cool in the 40 degree temperatures. 

And of course my sensible sandals went into the bag, the ones that I use to go for long serious walks.  When I want to stride out, or walk quickly, or jog, or walk across rocks.   But for the rest of the time, when shopping or lazing about, or being in holiday mode, than flip flops are definitely my preferred footwear.  

No comments:

Post a Comment