Friday 11 December 2015

Early morning walks

Early morning walks, on two hot days.  Any later, and it would be too unpleasant.  But manageable early in the morning.   And on the first of the hot days there were plenty of people around, walking, jogging and riding their bikes.

We walked around the Patawalonga, once a swampy area, and now a lake, the level of which is controlled by locks at the entrance to the sea.  

Reflections.
Glenelg is such a popular area for cyclists, which mostly use the bicycle lanes on the road.  However a new law has been passed, which gives cyclists the right to ride on footpaths, which is fine, as long as the footpaths are marked as such, to inform hapless tourists like me.  And yes, I got tangled up with a cyclist on this particular walk.   Literally.  I was happily walking along, with Donna and Poppy, when I heard a voice yelling out, 'Coming through'.  I jumped, in fright, to the right, and the cyclist rode straight into me, and knocked me flying.  Ouch.  He fell off, so I think he was hurt more than me.  I was about to give him a mouthful of abuse, but thought better of it.  Donna explained that I was a tourist and did not know the rules, which is to move left to allow cyclists to come through.  I limped off, covered in bruises.  I was not a happy bunny, I can assure you.  
More reflections.
A peaceful scene.
More cyclists speeding by, on the road , on the other side of the Patawalonga.
The planes landing at the airport close by, fly so low it is possible to see the pilots in the cockpit.
Another hot day, and another hot walk, this time along the beach, and back through the suburban streets.  No Poppy on this day, as the temperature was already 31 degrees at 7.30 am.  Not many people on the beach either.
The walk yesterday, in perfect weather, on the beach with Poppy, plus many other dogs, and their owners.  Lots of doggy fun, chasing each other, in and out of the water.
 Glenelg jetty, always a stark outline against the blue water and sky.
 A jetty tunnel.
Looking forward to more beach walks.  And I am certainly spolt for choice here. And no cyclists there to worry about either.

No comments:

Post a Comment