Friday 3 December 2010

Swimming with Eels

We went to Lake Rotoiti, which is a lovely lake, hidden in the mountains a short distance from Nelson.

The lake is known for its eels, the Maori name is tuna, which are protected as they do not reach maturity until they are 90 years old. They are long finned eels, but to me they are just eels, and I would not like to swim amongst them. We could see them in clusters in the water and they looked sinister!

There were thousands and thousands of sand flies, even the insect repellent did not stop them from biting us. We had a delicious picnic lunch and I found that by walking around with a sandwich in my hand was preferable to sitting still and providing a meal for the sand flies. Margaret and I managed to go for a long walk called the Peninsula Nature Walk while Walter and Gordon checked out the iSite Centre. That night we went for dinner at the Anchor Bar and Grill which is opposite the marina. The views were equal to the south of France and the food better. I had scallops, fresh and lots of them, with bacon on a bed of salad. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment