Thursday 22 December 2011

Adelaide

We are now in Aldinga Beach, which is about 30 kms south of Adelaide.   And tonight I went for a walk along the sea front, just as the sun was setting over the sea.   I had forgotten how spectacular it is, and memories flooded back to the nine years we spent in our house by the shore at Henley Beach.   We spent many an hour, often with a glass of wine in the hand, sitting on our front verandah, watching the sun set over the ocean.

Since arriving at Darren's house we have helped him clean up the house and side extension in readiness for Christmas Day.   We also checked all the chairs outside, and the wood in the extension, for any red back spiders that may be lurking there.    I only found one red back spider, which I killed pretty sharply.   The protection of the native wildlife only goes so far, when it comes to red back spiders.

Darren's house in Aldinga Beach.
 Darren's new outdoor setting.   An early Christmas present.
 The side extension awaiting more insulation and the wall and ceiling boards.
Walter sitting and relaxing after his hard work.
Darren's office complex in Kingswood.    Very smart!  
 The 'board room'.  
Off to Rundle Mall for a shopping spree.   Very busy and very noisy.    Are Australians always this noisy or is it just Christmas excitement?
 The silver balls.   A well known icon in Rundle Street.   And a popular meeting spot, but today it was being used by World Vision.
 Lunch in the Myer Food hall.    Asian pancakes called Bing Boy and very delicious.
 I remember when the Myers Centre opened, and the food hall.    Emma worked at a stall here, for a short time.   It was a healthy food stall, if I remember correctly.    Darren also worked at a stall that sold ice creams, not here any more.  Most of the stalls sell Asian food now.
We are experiencing brilliant weather, but I had forgotten about the extreme dryness, and the bright glare takes some getting used to, so I try to keep out of the sunshine as much as possible.  And much moisturiser is needed for the dry skin.

And before I forget, I must own up to getting lost when I went for my walk (in my flip flops/thongs/jandals) this evening.   I got lost in the twisty side streets around Darren's house, and I had to call Darren to come and collect me.    An expensive call as I rang via the UK!    It was dark by this stage too.  And my feet were sore.    And I was quietly having a panic attack.    No sympathy from the men though.    My call interrupted their enjoyment of a glass of wine (or two) whilst sitting outside on the patio.

No comments:

Post a Comment