Friday 30 August 2013

Gonfaron or another town in Var

We were driving along the D97 and had passed through Carnoules and Pignans.   As we entered another town, Gonfaron I think, I saw this wonderful old street ahead of me.   As the traffic lights made it into a one way street, it was going to be possible to take a photograph, without any cars spoiling the picture.  But alas, the battery dropped out of the camera, just as I was about to press the shutter.

So as not to miss a photo opportunity, I persuaded Walter to stop.    Not easy, but we eventually found a car park and I walked back to the beginning of the street.   And it was worth it.    A step back in time, except for the tarmac.
I especially liked this old boulangerie, closed of course.   When I peered inside the window there was washing hanging there.   Such a sad ending to a lovely little shop.   There was plenty of peeling paint and broken plaster on this street, as can be seen on the walls of the building next to the boulangerie. 
I looked up one of the side streets, narrow, and with the same type of buildings.  I could see that this was not the most affluent of towns, but there was plenty of character.
 And what is this?   Electricity wires attached to the houses, and within reach of some of the windows too.   Walter wondered if they used them as washing lines.
A close up shot! I must admit I did shudder when I saw the wires so close to windows.   And fairly old connections too, and the wire for each house ran down the outside of the building.    Walter maintains that he has seen this before in France, but I must have had my eyes closed.   I thought all electricty cables were now underground, in such narrow streets..
A lovely shady square, with about three terraces around the edge, which belonged to the tiny cafes and bars on the opposite side of the street.   And there were plenty of people sitting at the tables, which was good to see.   Lunch time beckoned us.  
 So we walked further along the street, to a another cafe, where we could have had aioli with mussels, which was the special on the menu, but declined and went for something different.   Walter anxiously waiting for his food.   There is an old fountain and trough in the small square, which is visible to the left of Walter.
And finally it arrived.    Camembert, cooked in the oven, accompanied with sliced white bread and raw ham, plus a green salad.    The camembert was oozing with melted cheese and olive oil.   And the surprise came when we cut into the cheese, it was filled with parsley, chopped up tomatoes and garlic.   Luckily there was plenty of bread to cut the richness of the cheese.   But I think our gall bladders workd overtime on this dish.  
And then we continued on our way, feeling very full and satisfied.    And we had no after effects either, except for a slight taste of garlic in the mouth.  Thank goodness.   A very rich lunch.  And no red wine either.

No comments:

Post a Comment