Thursday 1 August 2013

Jeff or Jeffette?

When I was looking at bearded dragons on the internet, there was a section on determining the sex of a bearded dragon lizard.   Something I had not thought about really.   So Jeff could actually be Jeffette. But there is no way I am going to check though!     I don't suppose Jeff really cares if he is actually a girl, and has been given a boy's name.    I hope not anyway.
While I was on the internet I found out that bearded dragons are very gentle and 'kind' pets.    They are very alert and watch everything that goes on outside their vivarium.   That sums Jeff up.

Jeff has expensive tastes.   He prefers locusts to crickets.    But there are only 14 locusts in a small box and he eats about ten a day.    They cost 2.50 pounds per box.   I can see why he prefers locusts as they are easier to catch and obviously taste pretty good.   But there are a lot more crickets in a box, for the same price. At the moment I give him crickets in the morning, and locusts in the evening, but then I have to remove any left over crickets from his vivarium before his heat lamps go off in the evening.  Not an easy task, as they jump everywhere.  Crickets are nocturnal and hide during the day, and then come out at night.   They apparently bite the sleeping lizard, thereby causing sores.

Jeff must be the great, great, etc grand child of a lizard that had been imported from Australia.    Apparently it has been illegal to export lizards from Australia since the 1970s.    So bearded dragon lizards have adapted to life in their new countries, with ready meals, and baths, and lots of hugs, and sometimes even going for walks.   I saw a picture of a fully grown lizard with a special harness, which had a lead attached.    You would not get any of that in the Australian desert, just heat, very cold nights, a few insects, and maybe some early morning dew on the ground.  

I hope you appreciate all of this Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment