Thursday 23 October 2014

A day of swimming

On Monday I took Mia and Abi swimming at Den Hommel Swimming Pool in Utrecht.  It is a leisure swimming centre with plenty of activities to keep children entertained;  extra large, warm water pool with currents, waterfalls and outside swimming area plus an icy cold plunge pool, a small pool with slide and even smaller pools with play equipment, two spa pools and a long water slide.  And like all swimming pools in the Netherlands there is a cafe, selling food and drinks.  A perfect venue for a day out in the school holidays.

We left early in the morning and Aaron accompanied us as his place of work was only a short distance away.   We travelled very quickly through very scenic bicycle paths, with Aaron riding beside Abi, and giving her some extra power by putting his hand on her back.  It works very well for Dutch parents and children.   But not for me.  I would end up on the ground in a tangle of bikes and arms and legs.

We arrived at the pool, just after it opened, to be told that it was family swimming time and I could not watch Mia and Abi swim unless I was in a swimming costume.  Although it did not state that on the website, it was implied that family swimming means the adults must be in a swimming costume.  A language blunder.

I noticed a shopping centre as we were cycling there, only a few minutes down the road.  I knew there would be no swimming suits on sale, as it was autumn, but being ever resourceful I headed to the cheapest shop and bought a black singlet, black stretch boxer type knickers and a bright pink large towel, total cost, €8.30, and headed back to the swimming pool.  After purchasing 3 tickets, from another assistant, we headed into the change rooms.

Well I looked the part, slightly 1930s, but it worked, although I did not enter the water just in case the outfit went wrong, so I joined the two mums in the cafe.  They had thought ahead, and were wearing brief shorts and sun tops.  I really enjoyed my cup of coffee. What a start to the day.

Mia and Abi spent most of the day in the pool, except for lunchtime, when we happily ate chips with lashings of mayonnaise.  I had a lovely day relaxing in the warm cafe, and reading my book.
We rode back to Houten at a leisurely pace, taking a different route this time, some of it through an industrial park.  Not so scenic.

The main road, as we left the swimming pool. The overpass which worked really well now, but certainly caused mayhem when it was being built.
Riding a bike is so easy in the Netherlands, with the beautiful wide bicycle paths and traffic lights.  This bicycle path ran beside a very busy road.
As we approached Houten the scenery became more rural
It took 40 minutes to ride the 7 kms to the swimming pool, and about 45 minutes to ride home.  This was easier than driving to the pool, as one has to navigate onto and off a motorway, and through heavy traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment