Wednesday 1 August 2012

Woodbridge

This trip seems like an age ago now, a time when it was hot.   Not that it is cold at the moment, but definitely grey and not the weather for the beach.    But it was beach weather last week.    Hard to believe now.   So I joined Emma, Isabel and Jackson for a few days up in Woodbridge.    Steve being in Dusseldorf with the rest of the crew, enjoying the sights of the city, and the views of the river from the longest bar in the world.  

Woodbridge is about one and a half hours drive north of London, on a good day, and is just above Ipswich. The town is blended with another small town called Merton.   Woodbridge is situated on the wide outlet of the River Eben.    Good shopping, pleasant walks and interesting pubs and restaurants.   A town with a positive and easy going atmosphere, and reasonably priced houses if anyone is interested in living there.

We were staying in a small holiday house, belonging to Emma and Steve's friends.   A lovely little quiet hideaway.

Emma enjoying the evening sunshine in the back garden and waiting for her dinner, which turned out to be slightly burnt pizzas.   My apologies, Emma. 
A walk down the very quiet and empty main street on Sunday afternoon.
We relaxed in the sunshine at the local playground.
We also walked along the river bank to look at all the boats.    Not quite the Cote D'Azur, but with plenty of interesting small boats, such as this sailing boat, being given a coat of paint and a good scrub down.
A narrow boat, also being given lots of loving attention.
But alas there were some wrecks too, happily rotting in the water.
Just the shell here, but thankfully a marker.    I would not want to get my nice new glamorous boat hooked up on the spikes.   When the tide is out, there is just glorious mud, mud and more mud.
On the Monday we drove to Orford Castle, with all its 12th century comforts.    The castle was built by Henry II (not personally) who also was responsible for organising the building of Dover Castle.   He was a man that was big on castles, and prestige and power.   But the building of Orford Castle was not just about power, it was also built for the comfort of the inhabitants, with its internal chimneys providing heating for all the rooms, latrines that had walls dividing each latrine and doors for privacy.    There was even an urinal in the passageway leading to the Sergeant's room.   Only the keep remains, as seen in the photograph below, but it is very impressive.    Well worth a visit.
A view of the village of Orford from the Castle.    The sea is visible in the background.     Orford is situated on the edge of a large river, the name of which I cannot remember.    A very picturesque village.
The village church, extremely old, with ruins at the back.
Emma, Jackson and Isabel about to investigate the ruins of the church.
A very grand church for such a little village, but no doubt when it was built, it needed to be large in order to support a very grand and luxurious castle.
Finally afternoon tea time, sitting in the sunshine in a pleasant little courtyard of the local cafe.    Excellent coffee, I might add.
The black and white, contrasting against the very blue sky.
And then on the Tuesday I set off home.    The men had returned and it was time for Steve to travel to Woodbridge to join his family and for me to return to my husband.  

But what a journey home.    All went well until I travelled around Ipswich.   I had the radio on, and the sun was shining.   A perfect day for driving.   So around Ipswich I went and continued driving.    I passed familiar names,  Needham Market, Stowmarket.    No London.    Oh well!    On I drove.  Still no London and no M25.   Suddenly I was faced with a decision - either Cambridge or London via the A11/M11.   And the sign post told me I was further from London than when I went around Ipswich.    Expletives abounded.   No Sat Nav you may ask.   But I know this area well, I say.   But talk about taking the long way home.    So after a quick toilet stop at the services by Stansted Airport, I continued on my way.   What a pain.    When I arrived home I immediately put a GB road atlas in the car.   You can never be too sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment