Wednesday 31 October 2012

Bicycles, bicycles and more bicycles

You may think I am obsessed with bicycles, and you may be correct, but I think it is more a fascination than an obsession.     In the Netherlands bicycles come in all shapes, sizes, colours and arrangements.  And when I have a camera in my hand, I am very happy, clicking away at the variety of bicycles around me.   

The beautiful blue Oma fiets, with white basket at the front.    So cool.
Some damage here, a bent back wheel and a missing front wheel.   Vandalism?  Drunks? The motorised road sweeper?  
The green line up.   Bicycles for hire.   The line up is far too perfect for anyone to hire one and destroy the symmetry.
The tandem.    The front part is for children with physical difficulties.   There is a special band to secure the child safely to the bike behind.   The Dutch think of everything.
The fallen.  
The hand crafted wooden bike.   I have the owner's business card, just in case I would like to purchase one of these bicycles.   I did not like to ask the price.  He assured me it was comfortable to ride.
The hand crafted super bicycle.   It has a sling for a sea,, and the bike is ergonomically suited for comfortable riding.   Price also unknown.
The old and reliable.
The conservative and safe.
 Riding on water?  No, these bikes have been salvaged from canals, painted and erected on stands in the water.    A remarkable display.
High and dry.   This bicycle appeared to be made of concrete.
The line up of two wheel and three wheeled Bakfiets.   Very useful.
A seat at the front and one at the back.   Mummy or Daddy's taxi.
The 'greenies' bicycle..    Someone went mad with green and blue spray paints.  Even the plastic ferns match.
Hey, what is this amongst the bicycles.    The scooters are a pest on the bicycle paths, but trying to fit one into a bicycle rack is just too much.
The small and petit.   The fold up bike, so beloved of commuters on trains.
Now where did I leave my bike?    The railway parking station.   No available spaces on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, apparently.
And I have heard that some cities in the Netherlands are going to heat the bicycle paths so that they do not freeze over in winter.   Such care and consideration!   I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment