Thursday 4 October 2012

Ightham Mote plus a sculpture exhibition

It was a beautiful sunny day last Saturday.   And we decided to make the most of the sunshine, and visit Ightham Mote, to look at the sculpture exhibition, and for Walter to visit the house, which he has not seen since it was restored, and for me to walk around the gardens, which I missed during my last visit. 

We had heard about the exhibition, from a friend, Jane, who had recommended it, and we were so pleased that we had heeded her advice.   It was pretty spectacular.    As well as the large pieces spread around the immediate grounds, there were smaller pieces in most rooms of the house.   All very pricey though, so I do not think any pieces will appear in our house or garden.     

I looked for information about the sculptor on the internet.    Guy Portelli. was born in South Africa, but went to an art college in the UK.  He initially worked as a sculptor for BBC TV before setting up his own studio in 1981.   He has received commissions for specific pieces as well as producing pieces to exhibit in galleries, sculpture parks and various establishments.    He has also written a book called Modern British Sculpture.

As we walked down the drive, there was the most magnificent piece of sculpture, a galloping horse made out of stainless steel.   I forgot to check the price, which I am sure is high, due to all the stainless steel used in the sculpture, plus the idea, and work involved, and the fact that the sculptor is obviously well known.   
The Orchid Plant, made of stainless steel with glass flowers.   Cheap at about £4,000. I am not sure about this one.    It looks like a garden sprinkler system.  
Bronze and mosaic pokers.    My sister, Margaret, would like one of these for her garden.    That's if she has about £4,000 to spend for one poker.
The Henley Rowers, will set one back £42,000.    I wonder if the plinth is thrown in for free.   Part of the deal, that is.    This small courtyard is a very effective back drop for about five or six of the pieces.   Two of them focus on 9/11.   One has a theme of joined hands, which looks like a cross.   I forgot to take a picture of this one.
The following three sculptures are made of nickel plated aluminium and plated mosaic, and parts are painted.  But I must have muddled my notes, typical, so I do not know which is which.    But I was impressed, by the sheer scale, and detail of both sculptures.
The Sex Pistols (Post Punk) £58,000 and  (Mod Rock) £58,000.  
And one for the Michael Jackson fans - (That was It) £60,000
Bubble wrapped busts.  Made of bubble steel.    They glittered in the light.  The person standing next to me touched them and cut his fingers.   He learnt the hard way.    
But my favourite - The Spice Girls erupting from a pick and mix bag of sweets.   That just about sums up the Spice Girls, I think.   £32,000
So I then headed off for a tour of the gardens, while Walter continued touring the house.    Unfortunately I did not see the rest of the sculptures, but the sunshine and fresh air was just too tempting to resist a walk outside.

The view over the dam, towards the house which can be seen in the distance.
This must be the trickle of water that leads into the dam, which then feeds the moat around the house.  
The dahlias were still in bloom.    A very beautiful specimen.
The formal vegetable garden, looking very spruce and extremely productive.
This is how I envisage my small garden will like, but never does of course.   I wonder how they deal with moles at Ightham Mote.    There are certainly no mole hills or sunken lawns or gardens (due to mole tunnels) at this establishment.    I bet they employ a permanent mole catcher, who then moves them off into the surrounding woods.    Interesting.    I should have asked a guide.  
A view across the striped grass to the back of Ightham Mote.    The tour group were listening intently to the tour guide.    Good concentration there.
And finally I sat for a while in the inner courtyard, in a small patch of sunshine, while I waited for Walter to finish his tour of the house.    A great people watching spot.
Altogether a very interesting and pleasant afternoon.   A house full of history, beautiful gardens and an impressive exhibition thrown in as well.     We left feeling very happy.

And I managed to navigate us home without ending up in a bumpy, narrow lane or in Tonbridge.  

No comments:

Post a Comment