Friday 1 May 2015

Fit to be in charge of a caravan

Fit to be in charge of a caravan.  Most definitely.   And I have a certificate to prove it.   Except they left the 'van' out of my name.  Oh well I know it was me.  
So what can I do now.   I can hitch up and unhitch quickly and easily.   I can drive forwards whilst turning sharp corners without hitting the markers.   And most importantly I can reverse the car, with a caravan on the back.   I can reverse in a straight light as well as reverse sharply in an area that is similar to a site in a camping ground.   And it turned out to be easy.  I just needed to be shown how.  There are tricks to the reversing process.  And now I know them   What a confidence booster.

No photos of me in action, or anyone else for that matter, due to being busy learning how to be a confident and competent person in charge of a caravan.

The course was run by the Caravan Club at the Norfolk Training Services.   A very large organisation which offers training in driving all types of vehicles.
Thank goodness I was not learning to drive this large brute.
Our caravans, all lined up in a row.  We used three of them, as there were six people on the course.   Two people per caravan.  One person towing the caravan and the other person giving directions, and much encouragement.  And moving the bollards now and again.  We were mostly perfect, but not all the time.
The training ground.  An empty space a short distance from the building.  A little windswept but plenty of room, well there was yesterday.  Today we also had to work around two learner drivers in very large trucks and some learners on scooters.
Tomorrow will be the test.  Hitching up our caravan, reversing it out of its site.   Of course I could drive it forward and around the other caravans.  But that would be cheating would it not.  And the ultimate challenge will be trying to reverse it onto our storage spot when I get home.

Patience Walter, you will need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment