Tuesday 25 June 2019

A quick trip over the channel

A quick trip over the channel, to visit friends in the United Kingdom.   Only a few friends unfortunately, as I only had three days and two nights there.    My apologies, as I do not have many photographs, due to too much talking and listening.   But it was fantastic to catch up with work colleagues from schools in Bexleyheath.

The day began with an early morning shower at the camping ground, with no one around at 5.30 in the morning. Then Walter strapped my suitcase to the back of the bike with bungee straps, and off I went to cycle to the railway station.  And from there it was the Sprinter (stop train) to Utrecht, where I boarded the Intercity to Schiphol.   It all took less than an hour.   Walter came with me to the airport, and we had breakfast together there.   He went onto Den Haag. 

And for me, a short flight to Southend Airport, owned and run by Eddie Stobart, the trucking people, who ensured a well run and immaculate airport.   There is one feature though that did not impress me, but more about that at the end of the blog.  I must keep events in sequence!
A short walk from the airport took me to the train station where I took the train to Liverpool Street, London.   A very dirty train I might add, and we passed equally dirty and unkempt railway stations.   East Anglia services!
Finally, after an hour, we arrived at the impressive Liverpool Street station, where I became quite confused for a minute or two.   So many people, and all the names were familiar but not familiar.    An extremely weird feeling.   However it only lasted a few minutes, thank goodness, and after consulting the tube map, I knew exactly which trains to catch.    A short trip on the Central Line and then onto the Northern Line to Charing Cross.   So easy.

A busy Liverpool Street.
I met up with Jane and Yvonne at our favourite meeting place, The Chandos Pub, opposite the Portrait Gallery.    We managed to get our favourite window spot too.   We spent a very pleasant few hours there, talking, catching up on news, eating lunch, and consuming a couple of glasses of wine and for Yvonne, gin and tonic.   It was so lovely to catch up. 

Finally I made it to the last train, to Bexleyheath, where Karen collected me from the station.   I stayed with Kathy, in her room downstairs, with ensuite. Total luxury. 

I was very spoilt by Kathy and Karen, who took me out for breakfast, and gave me delicious lunches and dinners.   And we talked and talked, so much to catch up on.   They organised a lunch with staff from the two schools I worked in, and it was great to meet up with everyone again.   Such special friendships.

Kathy's son, daughter in law, and two grandchildren came from Poland to stay with Kathy, and it was lovely to meet up with them too, and talk about their lives in Poland.

Kathy took me for a walk around Danson Park, for old times sake.   We always enjoyed doing this walk, followed by coffee at The Stables, which was not possible this time, due to renovations.   So we had a very pleasant breakfast in Danson House.

A beautiful and popular park.
The three days sped by so rapidly, and reluctantly I left in order to return to the Netherlands.   I allowed plenty of time, to get back to Southend Airport, in case of delays on the trains and tubes.  This gave me three hours to spend at Southend Airport, and after looking at the crowds of people waiting in the departure lounge I went to the Airport Lounge and paid £20 in order to sit in comfort.  Once we had lounge passes, which we paid for through our bank, and we so miss this little luxury.

My one complaint about Southend Airport, was that the enormous bar took up a quarter of the departure lounge, and of course on a Friday night it was packed with people.   No wonder the company of Eddie Stobart are so successful, as they certainly know where to get some profits.   The Brits, off on their long boozy weekends, like to 'get tanked up' before they board the plane.    And yes, we had a few groups of them on our flight.   A reason for not visiting Amsterdam, or Dublin, and a few other destinations. 

The plane was an hour late leaving, and Easy Jet had the passengers wait in line for three quarters of that time.  In fact the plane had not even arrived, and they asked passengers to line up, except those passengers waiting at the bar, of course. 

All in all it was midnight before I arrived back at the camping ground, feeling quite weary.   The last stretch, the bike ride from the station proved to be difficult, as I did not have Walter to tighten the bungee cords around the suitcase, and it kept falling off.   And I could not get the headlight on the bike to work.   In the end I walked along the road to the camping ground.   I thought this was the safest thing to do.   No headlight and a case, that by this stage was constantly slipping off the carrier.

Unfortunately I did not see the message from Kylie to say that they were still up, in case I needed help.   One must always keep an eye on messages.   Which was easy as all Intercity trains here, the airports and all the mainline trains in Britain have excellent wifi.

My bike at the bike station, minus the suitcase, as I forgot to take a photograph before I left here.
I tried to forget about Brexit and the British government fiasco, but Kathy and I did have a few moans about it all. 

Altogether a lovely trip back to Britain.

No comments:

Post a Comment