Monday, 10 August 2026

Cobb & Co Caravan Park, Charleville

Another great find!    At $45 per night.    A place where we do not feel as if we are paying for an over priced caravan park with mediocre facilities.    Great atmosphere too.

The caravan park is spread over four areas:  1 for cabins, 2 caravan/camping sites, plus a green area for camping.   There are two camp kitchens, two sets of fairly new ablution blocks, plus an entertainment area with a fire pit.   Not to mention a doggy area, and kitchen garden.

And plenty of shade.   Luckily we are not under any gum trees.   I love gum trees, but not to camp under.  The limbs can suddenly fall off.  
Plus people are very friendly, just like at the St George caravan site.    Lots of offers to help set up, discussions about our dog, and details about where people are from.

Then, at 5 pm we were entertained by a singer, rolling out his repertoire of country and western songs for two hours.   We listened to him singing as we drank our drinks.    

Our camping spot is just behind the large tree.

Smoke from the fire pit covers the singer.   I hope he wasn't too affected by it.
Our drive today was only 260 km but it felt like 500 kms.   I was extra tired due to being awake this morning for about two hours (2.30 to about 4.30) due to rain.   This was predicted but I seriously thought it would not happen.   But it did.    A good test for the roof repairs that I carried out just before we left, and there were no leaks but that could have been due to the angle of the caravan.   We were seriously leaning to one side.   I guess the water ran straight off the caravan roof.

And why were we leaning to one side.   We tried to put one wheel on a ramp but then could not get the caravan off the tow bar.   A man came over to help and he could not do it either.   It seems to happen when we try to put a wheel on a ramp.    So we took the caravan off the ramp.   We were advised that we should be putting grease on the tow ball, as the dust and vibrations on the ball cause an enormous amount of friction.    He duly creased the tow ball and the corresponding connection on the caravan.

And when we arrived in Charleville we put one of the wheels on a ramp, and guess what, the caravan came straight off the tow ball.      We are very happy campers.

We stopped at a town called Mitchell for lunch.   An historic town but, lovely atmosphere, although many empty shops.    There were caravans and motorhomes parked whereever they could find a spot.    So very busy.

I took a photograph of a truck loaded with huge tyres, travelling through the town.   In fact there were three trucks loaded with giant tyres.    I wonder where they were travelling to, a mining town perhaps.

A very large hotel, and then I counted two more.   Obviously plenty of thirsty customers in this town.
Tomorrow we will explore Charleville.

No comments:

Post a Comment