Friday, 14 August 2026

Cunnamulla - a small town on the Warrego River

I am not sure how to describe Cunnamulla, except that it is beside the Warrego River, and is a pleasant little town.    Nothing flash.   Some poverty.    But their pride shows in the well looked after town centre.

Today the shops were closed.   It was a public holiday.    Show day apparently.   I am not sure where the show grounds are, but tonight I could hear announcements being made so somewhere close by.

The 200 kilometre drive today went very fast.   I do not think there was one bend in the road, and we only passed through one little settlement called Wyandra.    No fuel available there.   I am not sure how the people who live there manage without a fuel pump.

Most of the road was fairly rough, although a bitumen road.   It was busy, mainly people towing caravans.

And plenty of red dirt.
The Warrego River, with more water here.   Perhaps there is a weir close by or perhaps it has been fed with water from creeks.
There is no cotton farming out this way, nor was there at Charleville.   No crops either.  Too dry?

The lovely sunset showing behind the trees.    Not a bright red one, but just a pleasant glow in the skies.
The Post Office is situated in a lovely old building.
The Cunnamulla Fella statue.    It was commissioned in 2004 to personify the 'Cunnamulla Fella' in the famous Slim Dusty song.    It has become an icon of the town.
The Visitor Centre which was closed but thankfully will be open tomorrow.   It has some fantastic displays in it, which we have seen when we came here four years ago.     The building is an old secondary school buildings.
Looking forward to a pleasant day in Cunnamulla.

No comments:

Post a Comment