Tuesday 6 March 2012

The missing clothes

I have heard of people losing a coat, or a hat, or a jumper or any other item of clothing, when travelling.    Although the item in question may have been very expensive or much loved, it is usually a single item of clothing.

It is possible, and does happen of course, that a whole suitcase goes astray and ends up in lost property in some airport in the world.

But how can one lose five blouses and two sun frocks, somewhere between Point Lonsdale, Victoria, Australia and Hanmer Springs, New Zealand.     And not notice that one was short of clothes, although a time lapse of two weeks and three houses had come in between Point Lonsdale and Hanmer Springs.  

Too many clothes you might say, and yes, that is correct.    Shona did comment that in the nine days I stayed with her I had a different outfit on each day.     And obviously the missing clothes were not needed during the time in Invercargill.    I must be diplomatic and not make comments about it being too cold down in Invercargill for sun frocks.

Cupboards and drawers have been checked in the houses I have visited, and nothing has turned up.

The last I remember was packing my five beautifully ironed blouses in the suitcase in Point Lonsdale, Australia.    Now I know that ironing is not my forte but as most Australian houses are big, and have laundries, and easily accessed ironing boards and irons I decided I would improve my skills.    And I wanted to look smart of course.   And on top of all the clothes in the suitcase I placed my two sun frocks (not ironed).  

I know that I wanted to get rid of one of the sun frocks as it was long and gauzy and a nightmare to pack.   And I had not worn it in the three months of travelling in Australia.   It was also very expensive, bought in the South of France, and not one of my better purchases.    One is always wiser after the event.   But I certainly did not want to give rid of the other sun frock (bright blue with big flowers on it) and the five blouses, one of which was a Christmas present from Donna.

I even tried to convince Walter that someone had opened my bag at the airport, and taken my clothes.   "And who would want to steal your clothes, do not be silly!" he said.    And he is right of course.   Most of the bag handlers are male.    But perhaps they are cross dressers.     You never know!

I even privately blamed Walter, as he had some of my clothes in his bag on one flight.    I was wise enough not to actually say anything though.    Harmony is best sought on long trips.

I am now surmising.   I think that in my jet lagged state, early in the morning, in the hotel in Christchurch, I must have taken the items of clothing out of the suitcase and put them somewhere (on the bed maybe) in order to get clothes to wear from the bottom of the bag.     And left them there.  

Of course, three weeks later the hotel had no record of clothes being left in the hotel room.  

But I still think, and this is my logical conclusion, that somewhere  in Christchurch someone is wearing my five beautifully ironed blouses, and two sun dresses.   Not all at once of course.   I hope that person  gets more enjoyment out of my long flowing gauzy sun frock, than I did, and that he or she appreciates that it is an expensive dress from the south of France.  

No comments:

Post a Comment