Thursday 15 March 2012

Ofsted - a recurring nightmare

Last night I experienced yet again, my recurring nightmare, the second in two weeks.    And the theme is always the same. An Ofsted inspection.

Sometimes I am in charge, as a headteacher of a school, and sometimes as a teacher in a school.    In my nightmare this morning I was a teacher.    A music teacher.    Why a music teacher!    I have no expertise in this area.    And have never had any designs on being a music teacher. Yet I was a music teacher and I had organised very elaborate lessons.  Which did not impress the Ofsted inspector.  I also spent most of the nightmare running around in circles, as you do.  

I usually wake up from the nightmare feeling angry, or anxious, but then experience a great sense of relief.    I no longer have to fear Ofsted.   Hurray.   I am a survivor.   I am a retired Headteacher.  But why do I keep having Ofsted dreams.   Unresolved issues?   Perhaps I have post traumatic stress symptoms related to the trauma of past inspections.  

All my Ofsted inspections were negative experiences, and very stressful.   It is difficult to forget them.

Inspectors can be bullies.    They are usually highly trained, but probably have not been in the classroom for years.   One has to question a system, that uses inspectors that have had no recent experience.  Which then leads one to the question.  Why are these people not currently teaching in schools?   Not able to cope with the pressures in schools?    Interesting!.    Inspectors can fail a teacher, through one 10 minute lesson observation.    The inspection can fail a school, through a few lesson observations and a look at the school's paperwork.     If a school fails an inspection, the Headteacher resigns, immediately.    A negative approach to improving education in schools in England.  

No wonder I still have nightmares.  

 And one wonders what an education system that is based on fear, does for the education and welfare of its children.   Just thinking about it raises my blood pressure.  

I think I need therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment