Friday 1 June 2012

Houten, Netherlands

Since our last visit to Houten two months ago, the area has turned a bright green, with all trees in full leaf.   Even the grass has grown tall.

 The tightly trimmed trees are very fluffy.
 The espaliered trees are in full leaf.   It is no longer easy to see the outline of the branches.


 On Tuesday, it was the beginning of Vier Daagse, which is a four day walk, with people mostly walking about 50 kms each day.   But for the schools around Houten, it is a nightly walk of 5 kms for younger children, and 10 kms for the older children.   Luckily Mia is still young enough to do the 5 kms walk.    But next year this will be different.   Who will be the lucky (or unlucky) family member to accompany her.  We need to start practising for this long walk. 


Mia and Abi, sucking on the all important half an orange, with peppermints on top, and tied up in a cloth.
 A quick pace is set by the leaders.  
 An all important rest stop, crisps and apple juice for the children, and coffee for the adults.
However I did suffer a mishap on the way home.    I fell off my bike.    No picture, thank goodness.    First time I have fallen off my bike, in a very long time, unless I count the morning I fell onto the bonnet of a car, whilst back peddling at a roundabout.  The look on the driver’s face said it all.   This time, it was to avoid hitting a boy, who walked straight out in front of me. I swerved and over I went.  In minutes I was surrounded by people.   So embarrassing!    At least the boy was all right, although he was very upset because he was in the wrong.   I only have one small bruise.   Thank goodness. 


On Wednesday morning we attended a play that Mia’s class were putting on for parents, and grandparents too.   It was a lovely play about four children, and their adventures when they got caught up by hurricanes and landed in different countries.    It was written and organised by the children, and their depiction of activities in each country was amusing.    England was about tea drinking, and the USA was about McDonalds, Coca Cola and chips.   The children sang songs or performed dances, and a group of boys demonstrated a game of football.     
And so we leave Holland again, but will be returning in six weeks time.

No comments:

Post a Comment