Monday 5 September 2011

Kew Gardens

On Saturday I went to Kew Gardens with Emma, Steve, Jackson and Isabel. They are magnificent gardens, with so many interesting areas and plants to view. Unfortunately most of the time was spent going through the two huge tropical glass houses so we will have to return to visit the gardens again next summer. The weather was perfect as well.
Kew Gardens is not far from Heathrow Airport so we were under one of the flight paths. I can now understand how irritating it must be for people living close to Heathrow. The planes were continually taking off while we were at the gardens.I thought this was a spectacular flower until I realised it was attached to a pole. It was in fact the back of one of the giant creatures (not real) on display in one of the tropical gardens.We ate our packed lunches in glorious sunshine.
Jackson and Isabel were fascinated by the array of plants from around the world.
Jackson was sure the giant lily pads would hold his weight if he sat on one. Luckily he did not test his theory out.
We loved the cacti.
And the bright coloured flowers which did not look real.
This plant imitated pebbles - only the flowers gave it away.
A walk in the treetops but not for me though.
I bought two grasses from the shop for £6 so hope they survive in my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment