Monday 29 July 2013

Islip

Last Friday we set off to see our friends, Dawn and Richard, in Islip, Northamptonshire.   A lovely day, weather wise, but the motorways were very busy, and progress was slow.   Eventually we arrived in Islip, and were greeted warmly by Dawn and Richard.   

After a couple of glasses of welcome cold water, we recovered from our busy journey, and were ready to look at, and appreciate, their beautiful garden.   This garden was part of the Open Gardens Scheme in June, and received many visitors.    And I can see why, the garden is tranquil, green and full of interesting trees and plants.    
We sat on their patio and looked up at the blue sky through the branches above.    Magnificent.
The bark on this tree is pretty spectacular, and is an interesting feature in the garden.   My apologies to garden lovers, but I have forgotten the name of this tree, but I can find it out, if you are interested.
The conservatory overlooks the garden, and does not get too hot as it is north facing.   Dawn and Richard have many pots of plants, varieties that have interesting characteristics.   Dawn, Walter and Richard relaxing in the conservatory.    Coffee time.
The house was built about 1820, and has been beautifully restored, and definitely 'gezellig', meaning cosy and great atmosphere.  

Dawn took me to her allotment, which I was really interested in, as I once owned an allotment, but had to let it go when life became too busy, travelling.   Dawn dug up potatoes for lunch, Charlottes, which were very tasty, and picked a pot of raspberries and blackberries for me to take home.  

I was very envious of Dawn's beautifully kept allotment, even though she apologised about the weeds.   Dawn, you never saw what my allotment was like!  
And the view over the rolling hills was breathtaking.   I would find it very difficult to work on an allotment here, as the temptation to stand or sit and gaze around would be just too tempting.
After a delicious lunch, we said a reluctant goodbye to Dawn and Richard and set off back to Kent.   A truly lovely weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment