Saturday 2 April 2011

A day out!

Today I went out with Lucy, Jackson and Isabel. First we went swimming at the Pavilion Swimming Pool in Bromley. A leisurely float on my back for me, and lots of swimming and rides on the flumes for the three children. Bliss! Bromley looking its best in all its spring glory. We had our picnic lunch in the car on the way to Greenwich Park. We were ravenous after all the swimming and the journey was very slow due to the heavy traffic. I think everyone was out enjoying the fine weather.

We were visiting Greenwich Park for two reasons, one to give the children a chance to play in the playground and go for a walk and the other was for them to stand on the Meridian Line.


The walk and play in the playground was achieved very easily with lots of running up and down all the hills for the children. So much energy! I walked along sedately, which was more in keeping with my age, I thought!

A picture of the Royal Observatory taken from below the hill.
Looking out towards the O2 (used to be called the Dome).
We received a shock when we arrived at the Royal Observatory because there is now a charge for adults (£10 per adult) although children are still free. I objected to paying £10 so told the children they could look at the Meridian Line through the railings. Naturally they were not happy about this arrangement, especially as Lucy was studying this topic at school.

I had trouble getting them lined up for this photo! Then I thought, 'What the heck' as it is only money. The charge of £10 was brought in at the beginning of March and the attendant looked quite embarrassed about it all. Anyway I paid a reduced price as a 'Senior' and I now have a pass for the year! I have promised to take the three of them back again so that they can see the whole observatory.

A happy trio posing on the Meridian Line.
Now we have three very tired and happy grandchildren and one very tired and happy grandparent. A day to remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment