Wednesday 22 February 2012

Bowls revisited

Here we are again, playing bowls.   Same game, same rules, same characters, but different location.    This time we visited Bowls Tahunanui in Nelson.     Again a beautiful location, with a very green backdrop behind it.

I am becoming familiar with the terms; bowl, roll up, rink, jack or kitty, ditch, green and if you are up or down, depending on whose bowls are closest to the jack.   I no longer say things like pitch, ball, or gutter.   I think I can even hold the bowl correctly, kneel and smoothly (or not) let the bowl slide from my hand.   I understand that you need to aim the bowl at a point that is some distance away from the jack, depending on the wind, surface or any other obstacle that may affect the curve of the bowl.   

But I just wish the bowl would roll to the place that I am aiming for, rather than curve too far, too soon or too late, or land in the ditch at the back.  
The bright and perfect artificial green, edged on two sides with manicured conifers.   Too beautiful to use.
 The clubhouse, where post mortems about games are held.     The rolled grass green in front.    I am sure this green was built on a slight slope, as my bowls always seem to curve around and roll into the corners on the first rink.
 We had one practice roll up with Gordon on Monday, and then put our names down for the club roll up on Tuesday.    Luckily we were in Gordon's team.    This was especially needed as Gordon managed to score most of the points for us.    A roll up is not tobacco, or anything more adventurous, rolled up in paper, although you might need this when your bowls go in directions not intended.   A roll up in bowls is where people turn up at a club for a friendly afternoon game of bowls.   No competition or prizes.    I thought I needed to point this technical term out for anyone who is not familiar with the game.  

Walter looking the part with his hat from Victoria, Australia, donated by Rudolf.   Walter even looks like his brother, Rudolf, in this picture.   He would have liked to play like Rudolf too.   Sadly this was not to be so.   I am dressed in my more conservative outfit as I was desperate to 'blend' in.
 This is definitely the correct pose, but sadly it did not guarantee that the bowl would land in the correct spot.   In fact my best bowl was when I hit the bowl of a player in the next rink.   The bowls hit mid green, and went off in opposite directions.     The player was not amused, as he was playing in a competition.     Unfortunately the incident sent me into a fit of giggles, which I tried to suppress of course. This did not help my level of concentration.      
 By the evening, after a couple of glasses of wine, I sat on the couch and reflected on the events of the afternoon.    It is very difficult to reflect and smile at the same time.   The consequence is smirking rather than reflecting.     What is there to smirk about, when you still cannot get the bowl to go where you want it too.
But I intend to keep trying to perfect my ability in achieving the perfect curve, in bowls, that is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment