Tuesday 21 February 2012

Hanmer Springs

Last Thursday we made our way up through the centre of the South Island, via the Lindis Pass, the McKenzie country, Lake Pukaki, Lake Tekapo until we came to Geraldine.  Still no views of Mt Cook, elusive behind heavy clouds.    

The McKenzie country, once the home to thousands of sheep, is now full of cows, ruining the beautiful countryside.    Dairy farming is big business in NZ, due to China buying the powdered milk.    Now cows dominate, where once the sheep outnumbered the people.   The roads are full of Fontera trucks collecting the milk, and the water ways are full of cow poo.    A sad state of affairs, but it keeps the NZ economy afloat (in money, not cow poo).

We did not get lost either, mainly due to there being only one road north.    Although once I did turn off the main road in Omarama, due to being desperate for coffee, and did not notice that I had turned a corner.   So after drinking the coffee I continued along the road.   Unfortunately it was going east towards Oamaru and I did not realise this until some time had passed.     Maybe coffee affects my mind.   It is possible!

We love Geraldine, or at least the cafe behind the wool shop.    Delightful garden, good food and excellent coffee.   We then set off very carefully on the scenic route, mindful that coffee may affect my mind and we could end up in Westland.    This very scenic road took us past the mountains, including Mount Hutt, and around to Amberley.    We bypassed Christchurch, and any threat of earthquakes, although you are never safe from them, anywhere in NZ.     

Finally we took the road to Hanmer Springs, to meet up with Margaret and Gordon, and to enjoy a pleasant two days soaking in the hot springs.   The journey took us nearly 9 hours.

We awoke to glorious weather, and headed off for coffee, and a spot of shopping.    Margaret needed a new swim suit (I will not include the price she paid), and I added yet another dress to my collection.
 The weather continued to be glorious for the two days we were there, and it was tempting to jump into a cold pool rather than the hot pools, as the day very warm.  But the therapy was in the hot pools, and this is what we were seeking.
 Walter and I relaxing in the pool, temperature in this pool was about 38 degrees.
 Margaret and I sunning ourselves, before plunging into the pool.  
 We decided that a game of mini golf was also a healthy activity.     Margaret chose me as a partner, which was a bad decision on her part, as I could not hit the ball into the holes and we lost drastically.   And she did not complain either.    A loving sister.

Walter hitting a winning ball.
 Margaret hitting a winning ball.
I am not hitting a winning ball.  I am concentrating though.   Perhaps it was the wrong dress, or the jandals (NZ), or that I am trying to balance on the wooden edge.    Still, I am confident, that with practise, I will be a challenge for Tiger Woods soon.
Sadly there are no action photos of Gordon, due to Margaret and Walter complaining that they do not look so good in his photo.   Spoil sports.

Then on Sunday we reluctantly left, and travelled to Nelson, stopping for coffee at Maruia Springs.   And what a surprise, we thought we had taken the wrong road and landed in Japan.    The resort is owned by a Japanese company, and they have changed the decor accordingly.    The coffee was very good.
 A view of the individual rooms, each complete with its own spa.
 The drive back, was again very scenic.    We are tailing Margaret and Gordon, who are leading the way.   There is only one road, although I suppose you could turn off towards Greymouth at Springs Junction.
And now we are in Nelson, ready to tackle bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment