Thursday 24 November 2011

Hawks Nest

It rained heavily last night and we woke up to find that it was still raining.   However, I was determined to go for a swim and try out my body surfing skills.   Luckily the temperature was still quite warm.   I donned my bright orange bathing suit so that Walter could see me in case he had to rescue me if I got swept out to sea.   And down I ran to the sea.   I managed to get further out to sea this time, i.e. as far as the thighs before I lost confidence and decided to splash about and look as if I was waiting for a big wave.    Then a woman about my age ran past me, dived under a breaking wave and started swimming.   What a show off!    

The water was lovely and warm and so fresh and clean, compared to the Mediterranean (south of France).    
This is the view of the bay from our camping site.   
Is this 'The Big Marilyn Monroe'?    
 No it is the Fredo Pie shop.    We are not sure what the connection is with Marilyn Monroe, perhaps she liked pies too.     We read that these are the best pies in Australia, they have won awards, and they come in all flavours including crocodile meat.    So at 10 am we ate a pie.    I chose beef and mushroom and Walter chose beef and pepper.    Nothing too exotic for us.    Too early in the morning.    We compared them with the pies on the Sunshine Coast which we feel have superior pastry.    The coffee was excellent, although I am not sure that it complemented the pies.
Well it continued to rain, and rain, and rain.    All day.   We drove through mostly forested areas, and it looked lovely through the windscreen wipers.   The hills were not visible.    I also had no idea there were so many rivers on the NSW coast, but then all this rain must have to find its way out to the sea some how.  

We are now in Hawks Nest, opposite the township of Tea Gardens, north of Newcastle.  The two townships straddle the mouth of the Myall River.  

The area is well known for the abundance of koalas.    We went for a walk and unfortunately did not see any.    The trouble is, they were high up in the trees, and we needed to watch where were walking.  Broken limbs were not on the agenda.  

We also walked down by the beach, behind the sand hills where there was no wind.    The vegetation consisted of  mainly tea trees and banksia trees.  
The banksia flower in full bloom.
Dinner was at the local Golf Club.   Beef strips and bacon cooked in sweet chilli sauce, on a bed of pasta.   Very good value for $10.   And then back to our cosy little van.    I really like the matting beside each site.
The wind is now buffeting the camper van, and it is still raining.   The hot weather of a few days ago now seems an unreal dream.   I have a blanket over me!   

No comments:

Post a Comment