Tuesday 22 November 2011

Iluka

An early rise out of bed, due to brilliant sunshine streaming through the window of the camper van.   We were so early we were ready for our first cup of coffee at 8.30 a.m.    Our plans for the day, a trip on the ferry to the little town of Iluka, on the opposite side of the Clarence River.

We arrived early to board the ferry, which takes half an hour to cross the river mouth, due to having to go around islands, avoid sand banks and go through a breakwater.    All very complicated, but a very enjoyable trip.    
 Unfortunately, we were delayed from leaving, due to the persistence of one man in his wheelchair, who was accompanied by an unwilling group of supporters.    He was determined to prove that the boat ramp onto the ferry was not suitable for wheelchair users.    A tape measure was called for, and much spreading of hands and discussion took place.   After 20 minutes the passengers (not us) on the boat, started shouting at the man and his support group, and called for the intervention of Julia Gillard (the Prime Minister) to sort out the problem.    Australians are very able at voicing their displeasure, when angered about an unreasonable situation.    Luckily the man and his supporters decided to withdraw from the situation.   An interesting start to the day!
 We arrived in Iluka, without any further ado, and found it to be a quiet back water, with only a few shops, two camping grounds, holiday houses and an assortment of boats.    The photo below shows the staff car park at the local primary school.   I wonder what happens to the grass when it rains!
 The main street of Iluka, wide and with the usual angle parking.
 There is a very large World Heritage Listed Nature Reserve on the edge of the settlement.    It had a 2.5 km trail to a beach so we set out to walk it.   A very pleasant walk, no hills and cool under the trees.   It is a litteral rainforest, ie 'forest by the sea'.    The trees are a coastal variety of subtropical rainforest, so are very hardy.    There were many lilly-pilly trees with native hoya vines growing through the trees.  

As we entered the forest we could smell the aromatic eucalyptus trees at the beginning of the trail, and then as we neared the beach, the hot salty smell of the sea was very evident.    The smells and the sound of the kookaburras in the trees brought back so many memories of previous bush walks and camping.  

We also saw a possum, in its native habitat.    This is quite different from the imported possum that you find in NZ, where they are hunted as they cause so much damage to the native bush.    We also saw three large lizards, not big enough to be goannas, at least I do not think so.

Walter, in his new Australian styled sun hat, getting ready for the walk.
 My outfit is probably more suited to strolling around the Gold Coast!
This tree is covered in a strangler fig, which feeds off the host tree and eventually kills it.   The vine is a native!
The beach at the other end of the walk.
When we walked back to Iluka we quickly found the local pub, called Sedgers Reef Hotel.  After walking 6 kms we were in need of cold drinks, other than water.   A very rough and ready hotel, badly in need of some paint.   The staff in hotel, were well suited to running such a hotel.    Rough diamonds, butvery  friendly.    The food was excellent, mostly local fish.    They even had an espresso machine, which we did not try out, due to needing very cold drinks.
 When we got back, I decided that I must try swimming in the ocean.    Regardless of the fact that it was very, very windy.   After walking up a very steep hill, I then walked down an equally steep path to the beach.   To my dismay, I found that I was the only person on the beach.    I jumped into the salt water swimming pool and splashed around for a few minutes.   But it was too murky for my liking.    Then I gained confidence and walked into the sea, up to my knees, sat down and pretended I was in deeper water.   I realised the beach was very safe, due to the presence of the Surf Life Saving Clubrooms.    But I am not keen on lone swimming!
I am very pleased to say that I now call flip flops (jandals) thongs.   I am in Australia after all.    I have also purchased a pair, rubber of course, and have conditioned my feet, or rather my toes, to wearing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment