Friday 25 November 2011

Terrigal Beach

Yesterday it rained and rained all day.    I think we were both getting a bit fed up.    But ever onwards.    We stopped for coffee, not sure where, but it was excellent as always.    I managed to reverse angle park the van without hitting any other vehicles.    Reverse angle parking is very common in NSW country towns and I must say that it makes driving out very easy.
 Then we stopped at a lovely beach for lunch, and the rain stopped for half an hour.
Finally we arrived at Brian and Terry's house in Terrigal, north of Sydney and it was still raining.   It was lovely to see Brian and Terry though and to know we were going to be sleeping in a normal bed, in a house after five nights in the van.

Last night we went to the Bowling Club for drinks and dinner.   I ordered prawns in a delicious sauce and Walter ordered a hamburger, minus the beetroot.   Delicious!   Then we shared a deep fried coconut battered ice cream ball.     I suffered from indigestion all night after the ice cream feast.
 When we woke up it was still raining, and then lo and behold the sun came and the clouds mostly disappeared.   It was so glorious we all went outside in order to enjoy it.

Brian and Terry's front garden, with the lagoon behind the trees.    What a setting!
 Looking back at their house from the lagoon.
 Brian, Terry and Walter enjoying the sunshine.
Brian took me down to the North Avoca beach, which is a short walk down some steep steps.    The beach has a yellowish sand, rather than white sand.    Beautiful, especially in the warm sunshine.   And after so much rain.
 I looked at the surf and thought, do or don't I brave those waves, especially as the beach had been closed in the morning due to serious undertows and rips.
 But then I looked around and knew that I had lots of brawny surf life saving men to save me if I got into trouble.    They were sheltering under the marque behind the flag pole.
Well the water was certainly chilly, after the warm seas up north.    But after a few minutes of struggling in the waves I warmed up fairly quickly.    No body surfing at this beach, as it took all my time just to stay upright!    Great fun though.

No comments:

Post a Comment